Thursday, September 1, 2011

Seven Quick Takes

1. Truly can't believe that tomorrow is Friday. Where has the week gone??? Time seriously flies and I'm just holding on for dear life. We have had a great week. We've done some school (more than I thought we'd get done), got a 3rd Orthodontist opinion for Grace, visited with some old friends, had a beach day, and did some more school. Tomorrow Grace has a dentist appt., we will work in some school, and the girls will do some more visiting with Hannah (our old friend). Our days are packed but I am blessed. Blessed to be able to stay home with my kids and homeschool them and blessed to have the freedom to have these crazy weeks.
2. I discovered today that one of my kids (and probably all of them) becomes much less upset and agitated when learning new math concepts if I just lower my voice and talk quietly. We haven't done math since last Thursday and I'm again reminded of why you just can't take math breaks. The kids forget everything so fast!
3. We've decided not to wait for braces for Grace. It will be best for her to go ahead and get them on soon while she is so young. So, she has an appointment on Tuesday to get braces and she is so excited! She is hoping to be able to get colored braces. That's my girl.
4. Grace thinks she has found what she wants to do when she grows up. She wants to train seeing eye dogs and/or other animal companions. I was reading a book last weekend and one of the characters was going to college for a degree in animal companionship. I immediately thought of Grace and thought that this would be just the thing for her. So, I told her at dinner the other night and she said, "that is so weird--I just read 2 articles in The Bunk Room about seeing eye dogs and in my Wordly Wise today there was an article about seeing eye dogs. I was already thinking that I might like to do that." I looked online and there are colleges that offer degrees in this. I am hoping to plan a field trip soon to a place in Orlando that trains animal companions.
5. On that same note...Hannah is thinking of starting a photography business. Right now her plan is to scope out some locations around our town and do some photos for a portfolio. She has already lined up a friend and her daughter to do a mother/daughter shoot. She will also use her siblings as models as well. She then plans to try to get some business photographing families for their Christmas pictures.
6. I think I am going to be even busier as I encourage and play taxi driver to my children as they pursue these hobbies and interests.
7. My kids got their parts for their next theatre performance. Hannah will be playing Fifi, one of the stepsisters; Joe is Herbert--the prince's dad (this should be quite funny as his wife is older and bigger than him and he is 8); and Grace is Babette, a french poodle who hangs with the mice a lot. They are all happy with their parts and I think it's going to be a great show. If you are local you should come and see it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

perfect job for Grace!!!!