Friday, May 7, 2010

Homeschool BikeFest!

We had a fabulous day!  We went on a big bike ride with lots of friends.  I think there were 25 of us total including 5 moms.
First, the kids and I rode our bikes over to Maria's house, I think it was maybe 2 miles maybe less.  I'm no good with distance. There we met up with the rest of the crew and got ready to go.  Everyone was given a number and the kids got lined up by number and mostly stayed this way for the whole bike ride. 
And, we were off to our first destination!  Our first destination wasn't far but it was on a kind of busy, narrow road.  The kids did great though and we all made it safely to the Mermaid House where most of the kids took a dip in the pool and we all ate an ice cream sandwich!  One of my favorite things is an ice cream sandwich and on a hot day with friends, even better! 
After getting everyone together for a group shot we headed out again.  Our next stop--Granny's Cottage by the lake.   Here we snacked on mini sticky buns and most of the kids jumped in the lake.  Are you starting to notice the trend with food--particularly sugary food?  Yep, every stop included food! 
From here we had a pretty long stretch to our next destination--the park and a picnic lunch. 
The mommas rested up here but the kids really only slowed down long enough to eat.  Then they played at the park until time to go again.  Our next stop wasn't far at all and included air conditioning and ice cream at a local ice cream shop. 
After getting all sugared up we were on our way once again--back to Maria's and the pool.  We did some off roading through the woods on a bike path to get there and it was beautiful and the shade felt great!  Once we got to Maria's the kids swam and the mommas sat and drank margaritas and talked and laughed and all that fun stuff. 
We had a wonderful day and can't wait to do it again!  Even the heat wasn't too bad, besides we needed to sweat off all those extra calories we consumed today!! 

10 comments:

Julie said...

YES, it was the best day!! I'm going to be stealing some of these great pictures!!

Maria Slaby said...

Awww what a great post about a great day! I'm so glad you gals enjoyed this. I've been wanting to do this for such a long time...I'm glad we finally made it happen! Making these memories...there's nothing better! I think the next one might be sooner than we think!

Melissa said...

Looks like great fun!

BeckyJoie said...

That looks so fun. We love biking over here. I so enjoy reading your blog posts too. They are like reading a story or magazine article and always so interesting.

Ingle Nook said...

looks like a blast!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meme said...

It looks like you had such a fun day...ice cream and margaritas..it doesn't get better than this.....

ann marie said...

I was downtown yesterday, having lunch, and saw a bunch of people with red shirts riding bikes. I'm guessing it was you. That sounds like fun. And the eating and drinking looked good, too!

Happy Gramma said...

It looks liek you all had a great time. I enjoyed looking at your blog. I am following now.
Please come visit me @
www.happyfamilyhappykids.blogspot.com

Cindy said...

Looks like a great day! Great pictures!