Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Some Random Thoughts on a Tuesday about Homeschooling
I'm sitting in a local coffee shop listening to some people play folk music--2 guitars and a violin. It's kind of nice...I've had a great, but long day. We had a super productive school day and I love that. I am still working on finding the balance between productive school days where we get everything done and still having some freedom in our little homeschool. On the days where each child gets through every subject and every assignment it takes us until about 3 to finish. The thing with that is that at about 3 every day of the week we have something going on. On Mondays, it's Landon being dropped off and the kids picked up to go to theatre, on Tuesdays I tutor at 2:45, on Wednesdays I pick up a friend's daughter from school at 3 then it's home for a quick snack and I take my kids and her to theatre, on Thursdays I tutor 2 kids starting at 2:45, and on Fridays Landon gets to my house at about 3 and is there until about 7. So, whether we are done or not we have to wrap things up by 3ish. Everything we're doing this year kind of has a "you need to do it every day" style otherwise you get behind. On a week like this week when we only have 3 days actually at home it makes for long, jam-packed school days. I am trying to be a little more relaxed about getting behind or even just skipping some things and I'm doing better than I ever have. I am also thinking about doing something like going to the park in the morning and putting down a quilt and doing our morning reading there instead of at home. This could be a nice change and yet we'd still be getting work done. I think it'd be an even nicer change if it involved donuts and coffee. :0) I'd also like to add in some midday bike rides, nature walks, a rousing game of yahtzee, an art project, stuff like that. I want to enjoy this school year and I want my kids to also. I want to fully experience the blessing of homeschooling my kids and sharing their lives. I don't want to be the stressed out grumpy momma. Joe said today that he's noticed that most homeschool moms are stressed out. Thanks Joe. But, it's sometimes true. As homeschoolers we are carrying a big responsibility and this life choice is certainly not without it's stresses. Back to the balance--I'm really working on having all of Joe's school done by noon. He is a child that really, really needs plenty of downtime at home each day. When he has this time he very often chooses educational activities and that's the closest I feel like I can get to unschooling him....making sure he has the time to follow his interests. I was all set to do a Chemistry unit with him and Grace but I've changed my mind. I'd rather do a simpler (faster) science program with him. I think I'll be back to the Lesson Pathways for him and keep it simple. He really does work best being schooled alone which makes my day longer but more pleasant overall. These are just some thoughts I've had lately. A few ideas to tweak our year to make it better for us all. I wonder if any homeschooling mom has it all figured out at the beginning of the school year and then sticks to it. That's a nice idea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I really laughed when I read what Joe said about homeschooling moms.
Post a Comment