Outside my window...the sun is up and the birds are singing. It's looking like another cloudy day, my favorite! I just hope we get more rain than we did yesterday.
I'm praying...for all sorts of stuff. A friend with brain cancer and her family and kids, another friend that will be having a bone marrow transplant tomorrow, a cyber friend whose very fragile son will be having surgery today, for my kids to remember their lines and songs and have fun performing in Willy Wonka this weekend, safe travel for my momma, and more.
From the school rooms...I touched on this yesterday but we are rapidly approaching the end of our school year. Wooooohooooo!!! Grace and Joe are down to just Math and Sonlight reading, they have finished everything else. They both got started late in the school year on Math so unless they start doing double lessons, they will be doing Math probably through the summer. They each have about 30 more lessons to finish. Hannah is finishing up her Science this week along with plugging away on Sonlight reading and Daily Language Review. She just recently started Pre-Algebra but will take a break for the summer at the end of next week. I am so happy with how hard everyone has worked, I thought with our various setbacks of the year that we would be schooling through June but we've worked hard and doubled up many days and are almost finished! We got the CAT5 test scores back and all three kids did really well. They are all above grade level in every single test and I am thrilled. I know standardized tests get a bad rap and I completely agree that you can only measure just so much on a standardized test and all that but I have to say that it sets my mind at ease about my kids' education knowing that they can perform well on this type of test. It just does.
Around the house...it looks like a busy family lives here...I rearranged the living room yesterday though. After spending so many months in my big green chair with the same scenery I thought it was time for a change. I also wanted to set up a puzzle table in a more convenient location since school is almost done and summer is a great time to do puzzles and play games and all of that. I didn't want to leave a card table up all summer either. I found a great solution and will post a picture eventually.
From the kitchen...I made one of my favorite meals last night, black beans and rice and giardenera. So simple, healthy, and tasty. Tonight I will make one of the family's favorite meals--Country Brunch Skillet. It is basically hash browns fried up with green peppers and onions, and then you make little hollows and crack an egg in each one and let the egg set and then sprinkle with cheese and bacon. We haven't had it in over 6 months so they will be happy. Today I start the lemon bar making. I have to make about 6 dozen every show weekend and sometimes more. I will also make chocolate chip cookie bars. Oh, and stay tuned for a recipe for Brownie Batter Dip made out of chickpeas. I made it last night and my kids ate almost the whole container. Even after they found out it was made with chickpeas.
On my iPod...I'm LOVING Scotty McCreery's song, "Dirty Dishes!" It is about being thankful for dirty dishes and laundry and noisy kids. And, his voice is just amazing. I also bought some fun, educational songs by They Might Be Giants. We have one called "Cells" and one called, "The Bloodmobile." Yes, my taste in music is just slightly eclectic. :0)
I'm reading...last week I read a mystery by Lisa Gardner and could hardly put the book down for 2 days until I finished it. I don't have time for that this week so I'm reading some other good, but less gripping books. I finished, Long Way to Chicago by Richard Peck and started another by him called, Here Lies the Librarian. He is a great storyteller and writes for a Young Adult audience but his stories are easily enjoyed by adults as well. I am also reading Rules of the Road...one of Hannah's Sonlight books that she especially enjoyed. Grace is over halfway through Catching Fire. :0)
A few plans for the rest of the week...school, tutoring, my momma is coming, Willy Wonka!!!, Senior Tour on Thursday, and a birthday party. Fun, fun!!
2 comments:
I read this a few days ago, but I'm awake in the middle of the night so I came to check to see if you'd posted any Willy Wonka yet. Since you haven't, and I saw it in real life, let me be the first one on here to say, Hannah, Grace, and Joe all rocked!! I have never been prouder any kids (other than my own) than I was last night!!!
I'm still reading R. Peck too-- I'm totally into his books. I just read two historical ones, The River Between Us and On the Wings of Heroes, about the Civil War and WWII. Both were great and we could have our kids read them for history.
Post a Comment