Sunday, December 16, 2012

Reindeer Games

This post actually has absolutely nothing to do with Reindeer Games, I just wanted a fun title.  There is a mom in theatre who does the Elf of the Shelf with her kids and when the elf gets mischievous she says that the elf is playing Reindeer Games and that struck me as funny.  I think I will start calling all of our Christmas activities "Reindeer Games."  We've been very busy with lots of Reindeer Games the last few weeks.  We've been super busy and honestly, I couldn't be happier.  I'm embracing the Christmas craziness and NOT complaining.  I'm remembering last year when I could do very little and so I am so thankful that I can do so much this year.  My only complaint is that we've had to keep doing school every day and I just want to play. Hannah and Joe are now officially on Christmas break though, Grace has some virtual school work this week before she can go on break.  It will have to wait until Tuesday though because tomorrow we are going to Disney!  We will be going to Epcot for the Christmas storytellers in the countries and then to Hollywood Studios for the lights.  I'm super excited and can't wait to see all the Christmas decorations.
This is the third weekend in a row of performing for my kiddos...first weekend of December we had our church Christmas pageant, second weekend we did the pageant again as a part of a local Christmas fair, and then this weekend has been their theatre production of "Falalollies."  I've thoroughly enjoyed every one.  I have lots of pictures and videos to share and will likely be flooding the blog this week as I try to catch up on everything and get it recorded here.  A few bullet points are in order so that I can organize my thoughts...
  • I have read a couple of really good books lately and they are in the list on the sidebar.  One of them was Sister by Rosamund Lupton...it's kind of a mystery but told in a unique narrative.  The end was very surprising and I love that!  I love to be surprised by an ending.  Another really good read...read it in about 24 hours was The Bungalow by Sarah Jio.  It was a historical love story set in the South Pacific during WWII.  And, finally, Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon by Debbie Fuller Thomas.  This was a christian novel and I really enjoyed it.  It's got a really interesting story line.  A woman loses a child to a genetic disease that neither she nor her ex-husband have, she has a DNA test done only to discover that her baby and another woman's baby were mixed up in the hospital.  The other set of parents were killed in a fire and the girl is being raised by her elderly grandparents so this mom fights for custody and wins.  The book is all about these relationships and more.  I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.
  • I am not making good progress on my new Christmas puzzle.  I haven't had much time at home and I've been reading a lot.  Maybe this week though...aside from going to Disney, we have a pretty calm week...at least during the days.  I think I have to go somewhere every night from now until Christmas but my days are relatively free and we're on Christmas break.  Maybe I can get some good puzzle time in.  
  • I have a lot of feelings about the shooting in CT, along with everybody else.  Problem with me is that I'm nooooo good at putting my feelings into words and so I usually don't try.  No wise, poignant blog posts or FB statuses from me but my silence doesn't mean I don't care.  The only thing I can really put into words is that I am so thankful for a strong faith in God and an ability to trust HIM no matter what.  I know that He allows tragedy but I also know that He sees the bigger picture and that life on this earth is temporary and there is hope in that knowledge.
  • I have a lot of friends going through a lot of rough stuff.  I ache for them and pray for them daily, hourly, they are always on my mind.  Even during Reindeer Games.  I often say that I have the gift/curse of empathy.  My empathy has been in overdrive and prayer is how I battle the depressing thoughts and feelings that bombard me.  Again, thankful for a relationship with Jesus that gives me hope and peace when life gets scary and sad. 
I'm going to leave on that note...enjoy the next few posts of pics and videos!  Peace out my friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reminder that you battle depressing thoughts with prayer because I needed that today!

Julie said...

Great post!!