Friday, October 9, 2009

I Love It, I Hate It

I was in Target the other night looking for rubber cement and this (above) caught my eye. It's not your average handwriting workbook. This one has indentations for the letters so your child can feel the letters and then as he (or she) writes them can make sure to form them correctly by writing in the indentation. Joe called the indentation cartilage, we've been studying the body and this must have somehow reminded him of cartilage. Anyway, I've been having some issues with Joe and writing and for the moment this little workbook has made us both very happy. He really likes it and it has made handwriting fun and easy for him. I love it!

I decided to try the above book, "Language Smarts" from the Critical Thinking Co. to use with Grace for Language Arts this year. I've been using First Language Lessons but I didn't think she was ready for Level 3 yet and wasn't sure what to do with her. I assumed this book would have more of the traditional language arts--nouns, verbs, punctuation, etc. Well, it doesn't. It's a whole bunch of dumb busy work and I hate it. However, I paid almost $30 for it so we are doing it. Also, the pages are slick and Grace has to do her work with a pen. I do not recommend this book! However, Hannah is doing the "Language Mechanic" from the same company and I love that one. I also love everything else I got from Critical Thinking. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

6 comments:

Grammy said...

you win some, you loose some and don't forget, some get rained out...
Love you!!

Grammy said...

oh,, spelled lose wrong....
I know that will bug you....

DebiH. said...

We have had those Mead writing books, they have a few different types and they are helpful.

Smith Schoolhouse said...

I LOVE those cheap little workbooks that you can get from Target or Walmart. I remember using those a lot when my older ones were younger. thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about those things.

Shawnie said...

Thanks...I'm going to Target tonight to get that tablet!

Randi Sue said...

Good to know.