As we approach the end of another school year I find myself thinking a lot about what we have accomplished this year, what we still need to accomplish before finishing our school year and then also looking ahead to what I want next year to look like. We've accomplished a lot this year and for that I am thankful. However, there is a list of things that we haven't accomplished. These are things that I want to do every year and never seem to be able to fit it in. Nature study is a biggie. Nature study is talked about in many homeschool books and is a kind of buzz word. The idea is that you regularly get out into nature and just observe and then draw or write something in a nature notebook. The girls each have nature notebooks, each has about 1 entry per school year. I just actually gave Hannah hers to use as a sketch book because I have finally given up the idea that I will ever fit in regular nature study. As of this school year I've been homeschooling for 6 years and every year I say we are going to do nature study once a week. I've made the kids nature backpacks complete with field guides, little magnifying glasses, paper, colored pencils, etc. I asked for and received the "Handbook of Nature Study" for Christmas a few years ago. The book has barely been opened. I read "Pocketful of Pinecones" to inspire me and help me see what nature study should look like. After 6 failed years to incorporate nature study into our weeks I am officially giving up that idea. I don't even think it matters. My kids spend plenty of time outside observing nature and playing and so on. Even if we have no wonderful nature notebooks to show for it. Another thing that I wanted to do every year is study two artists and two composers. In my dream world we would read about these artists and composers. Look at art, try our hand at making similar masterpieces, listen to music, even be able to recognize classical music by composer. I did pretty well with these goals back when I was only schooling Hannah. But, the last few years it ain't happened. I'm not ready to give it up completely yet. I'm hoping to fit in one artist and one composer next year. We'll see how that goes...
Here are some more things that I have always wanted to incorporate but have never quite made happen and I'm accepting that these just may not ever happen--
art projects
cooking lessons--I have a grand idea to teach each kid how to make a breakfast, lunch, and dinner from start to finish
timeline--If I had a better wall I think I could make this one happen. I dream of an ongoing timeline that we add to every time we learn about someone or some event. I do not have a good sense of the overall world history timeline and I'd like to change that for my kids
quiet reading time every afternoon after lunch
writing and illustrating poems
reading poems
I think despite not accomplishing all of my pipe dreams for our homeschool my kids are doing great. They are intelligent, well rounded, able to speak their mind, read, write, add, subtract, socialize with other kids and adults, play creatively, make a sandwich and a can of soup, NEVER wake a sleeping momma, and all sorts of life skills. I'm proud of them even if they can't hear a piece of classical music and identify the composer (I can't do it and I've survived this long).
6 comments:
We can't get the nature study thing down either. The notebook just isn't happening. My kids do appreciate nature and know a lot about it. Just no notebook.
Your kids are doing great! Have fun with them! Relationships are what matter most!
I always want to do the art thing and at the start of this year it looked like we were going to be able to do it, but then about 2 weeks in it all fell apart and I was really disappointed at yet another failure and got all sulky. But then I decided to just get a good book of some famous art/artists and leave it around the house and they can pick it up when they want, which they do quite a bit. That's all I can manage right now.
Good points. Part way through your post I was thinking, yes...I want to do all of these things too. By the end I came around to...we're doing OK too!
Your kids are great, just keep doing what you're doing...it would even be OK if you did a little less:)!
You have no idea how bad I need to read you post today :) I have been beating myself up the past few days over all the things, I planned but never got around to doing but my kids are doing pretty good, too. I do have to say that mine do know at least 1 classical piece of music and my daughter very loudly made that statement at the orchestra we went to earlier in the year,I was so proud but then she added that she knew that song from Tom & Jerry so I'm not sure if that counts!!!
Ann Marie is onto something I think. When it comes to some things, it's a matter of interest instead of forcing a study so keep things around and handy to encourage interest. focus on readin', writin', 'rithmetic! Besides, homeschooling isn't completely about academics.
Here's a link someone recently posted with some live nature webcams... the owl is awesome!
http://www.sportsmansparadiseonline.com/Live_Webcams.html
I thought it was just me! I have a long "next year we'll do it" list. Thanks for the reminder to chill.
Post a Comment