Friday, June 4, 2010

No More Teachers, No More Books...

I took some time yesterday to get our school stuff organized and prepared for evaluations. I went through my plan book and made a sheet for each child listing what they did this school year, including books read (for the girls), field trips, special projects, etc. It felt good to see it all on paper. Despite always feeling like I wasn't doing enough we managed to have a very productive school year. Yeah us! I'm looking forward to packing it away and starting fresh next year. BTW--the white tubs are what I have used all year to hold each kids' school books. They are portable and stackable and have worked really well for keeping everyone's stuff separate and semi-organized. Thank you to Marissa for that big idea.
This is our first week of summer and we've had a great week. In addition to swimming three times and going skating and having a Harry Potter movie day at H and B's we've also taken time to read for thirty minutes every day. Well, the kids that is. I read for more than thirty minutes most days but don't find it necessary to time myself. Hannah also reads for much more than thirty minutes a day as well but Grace and Joe won't usually read unless I tell them to. So, for thirty minutes most days we will be taking some time to read or look at books (Joe). As soon as I get the cards made we will be doing Reading Bingo again. I plan to change it up a little this year and will post about it once I work out the details. For now though we are just reading without rewards--except the obvious rewards of getting smarter and broadening our horizons.

In addition to thirty minutes of reading, these kiddos have also watched a movie or tv show every day as well. Happy summer days...

2 comments:

Ingle Nook said...

I want to be a reader...I'm just not!

ann marie said...

Jane and Kate read constantly, all day if I let them, but Anthonywouldn't read a book to save his life. It's making me very upset. Happy summer! We're done next week and I can't wait.