Thursday, October 7, 2010

Books, books, books

I am going to try to dedicate one post a week to what I'm reading, what I'm reading to the kids, what they're reading, and what we/they are listening to. So, here we go....

I just finished the third book in the Yada Yada Prayer Group series by Neta Jackson. I love these books because they are grounded in real life and real problems with real people learning to trust God and learning to pray and grow in their relationship with God. They have been very inspirational to me. I just have one slight problem--the main character gets on my last nerve. I wish the story was told from one of the other character's perspective but it's not. The main character is on the whiny side and can be negative. But, she is also humble and honest so I should give her a break. I won't stop reading the series but I do take a break between books and read a few other books before reading the next one.
The next book on my list is Peace Child by Don Richardson . It's a true story about missionaries in New Guinea. I haven't gotten too far into it but so far it's shocking to hear the beliefs of these people and how they live with so much killing.
On my nightstand I have a book by Wally Lamb that has been recommended to me, it's actually not the main one that has been recommended but I've heard that this one is good also. Can't remember the name of it right now and I'm too lazy to go look.

With the kids I am reading Augustus Caesar's World and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Augustus Caesar's World is very interesting--all about the time period from 44 BC to 14 AD. We are actually taking a break in history to just read this book. The kids are enjoying it and hopefully learning a lot about the history of the Roman world and something about the many historical figures from that time period. As for Wizard of Oz--years ago we listened to this on CD but since the kids are in Wizard of Oz I thought it might be fun to read this classic novel. It's a little different from the movie and play. The kids are enjoying it and having fun comparing it.

Hannah and I are reading Ballet Shoes for book club. Well, Hannah is reading Ballet Shoes. I haven't started it yet but Hannah is loving it so I am looking forward to reading it myself. She just finished Cheaper by the Dozen and didn't like it as much as I had hoped but I'm glad she read it. She and Grace each have to read a book that I have chosen for 30 minutes every day. This is how I get them to read some classic stories that they might not otherwise choose for themselves. Gracie just finished a Betsy book (by Carolyn Haywood)--she enjoyed it but said it was a little old fashioned. I'm not sure what I'm going to have her read next--possibly a Dear America book or maybe Stuart Little. I need to decide before tomorrow. There are just so many good books to choose from. Joe is still reading his Little Miss and Mr. Men books but has enjoyed some fun picture books from the library too. Here is a short list of some of his latest picks--
There Once Was a Many Named Michael Finnegan by Mary Ann Hoberman (really fun to sing)
Princesses Are Not Quitters by Kate Lum
A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever by Marla Frazee
My Monster Mama Loves Me So by Laura Leuck

The kids and I have all been listening to "A Peep Behind the Scenes," it is a dramatization of one of the Lamplighter books and it is so good. Once we are done with this one we will be starting the fourth book in the Percy Jackson series. I half listen to these because the kids listen to them in the car and in the house and if we are home and they are done with school they will sometimes listen for an hour or two while they also do something like Legos or color. I really only listen while we are in the car.

I guess that wraps up our literary adventures this week...hope I didn't go too long.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I always like to see what others are reading! Tucker and I really enjoyed Wizard of Oz-despite being a huge Wizard of Oz fan, I had never read it! We also had fun comparing it to the movie!

oneblessedmamma said...

A Peep Behind the Scenes is really good, isn't it? LOVE it!!!