Friday, April 8, 2011

Seven Quick Takes

1. It's Friday afternoon...I can't believe another week has passed, the days and weeks go by much too quickly these days. I really need time to slooooowwww down. We had a very busy week but managed to fit in 4 good school days. I think I am finally getting back into the groove after Spring Break. I'm hoping for a not so busy week next week. I want and need more time at home.
2. Hannah has gotten really into cooking. She's been sort of into it for a while now but she checked out a few cookbooks on Tuesday at the library and has been wanting to cook ever since. She made lunch two days this week--one day was deviled eggs and the next day was Asian Chicken Noodle Soup. Last night she made Pad Thai and it was really good. She has asked if she can make dinner every night next week except for Monday and Wednesday (when she has theatre). She is going to plan the menu and make a grocery list. I could get used to this. Last night when she was making Pad Thai she even invited her siblings to come and help. Joe peeled and chopped garlic and chopped cilantro and Grace peeled the shrimp. All of these years I've sort of beat myself up for not letting my kids help me in the kitchen more often, we have a tiny kitchen and I prefer to work alone. Now it seems that despite my unwillingness to let them help much they've still managed to learn some skills.
3. I'm glad I'm not on The Maker's Diet
4. The girls are both singing tonight at a Relay for Life event. Hannah is singing a song from Wicked with her friend, Madi and Grace is singing a song from Beauty and the Beast. Should be fun!
5. I can't say enough good things about Math Mammoth. It's a math curriculum that is cheap and presents each lesson in such a way that Grace and Joe have both advanced significantly in math and all without the stress and tears.
6. I'm a bipolar gym goer--it seems that some weeks I go 4 or 5 times and I'm all motivated and into it and other weeks I barely make it. This week I've barely made it. I think I've gone twice and that's it and one of those times I was barely even there a half hour and just rode the bike and didn't even break a sweat. I'm hoping next week will be better, one thing is for sure--if I have a busy week getting to the gym is what gets dropped first.
7. In spite of not making it to the gym I have moved my body quite a bit this week. I'm trying to walk places more often if they are close enough as well as go on bike rides more often. We have bought the kids all running shoes too and they are enjoying going on short runs either with Ollie or just alone around the block. The girls are especially into doing this for their breaks during the school day. The weight is hardly falling off but I think I am getting more physically fit and healthy and that's important too.
Have a good weekend--this is a busy one for us, I should have some pics and video to share on Sunday or Monday.

1 comment:

DebiH. said...

I NEED to get more exercise. Maybe new shoes would help. : ) I am happy that Math Mammoth is working for Grace & Joe. It is hard to explain to anyone how it differs from other maths. I really don't even know, but it was the first math that Hannah was able to grasp at all and I can say that after a few years of using it, the focus on mental calculating has payed off. Maybe too well for Hannah. :)