Sunday, June 17, 2012

End of the School Year Wrap Up

Disclaimer--this post will be very boring, you may want to skip it.  This is one of those that I'm posting for my own record and not for the entertainment or pleasure of my readers.  :0)
We had a very interesting school year this year with lots of ups and downs.  There were times when I was stressing out thinking we were never going to complete this year or that my kids had not learned enough.  In the end though, we did finish our year (although really to be completely finished we need to finish reading Miracle on Maple Hill...) and the kids did learn enough and more.  They each tested very, very well on the CAT5 and I was so very, very thankful.  Here is what each child completed this year--

Hannah--
Teaching Textbooks Math 7 plus a Math Mammoth review of Fractions and Decimals
Sonlight Core 100--American History, she read about 25 books this year as well as the complete History of the US (10 books).  We didn't end up doing all of the mapwork or the writing assignments but she did all of the reading with the exception of 3 books.
Evan Moor's Daily Language Review 7
Wordly Wise 7
Apologia General Science
About half of Institute For Excellence in Writing

Grace--
Teaching Textbooks Math 5 plus Math Mammoth Multiplication and Division
Sonlight Core D + E--American History, she and Joe did this together and I read all of the books aloud.  I think we made it through about 30 books!  We loved just about every one of them and we all learned a lot!
Evan Moor's Daily Language Review 5
Wordly Wise 5
Apologia's Young Explorer Series--Botany
Half of IEW

Joe--
Teaching Textbooks Math 3 plus Math Mammoth Addition and Subtraction
Sonlight Core D + E--see above
Evan Moor's Daily Language Review 3
Wordly Wise 3
Evan Moor's Spelling 3
Read lots of Ranger Rick Magazines and played some educational video games for Science

In addition to all of this "book learning," we also saw all of this season's plays at Orlando Rep, went to a field trip at Chick-fil-a, read lots of other books, played games, acted in 6 plays, and lived a lifestyle of learning every day.  I am so thankful for the blessing of educating my children.  I know that they are learning much more than can ever be measured on any test.  I see it in the people they are becoming and the choices they are making in their lives.

1 comment:

Julie said...

They also went on a living history field trip, Ocali Days. They also learned to take care of a lot of stuff when their mom had a broken leg.