Thursday, June 14, 2012

It's Raining and other Stuff

It's pouring down rain outside and I'm in a quiet, cool house alone.  Girls are babysitting and Ollie and Joe went to Target.  I had big plans for this unexpected quiet time but I've pretty much frittered my time away on the computer.  I had to send some e-mails for church business and update my book list on my sidebar.  If I wait to long to update then I forget what books I've read.  And now, I'm blogging since it's been a week since I last posted.  I don't have much to say though but that doesn't usually stop me.  I've been in a weird mood this week...kind of a funk.  I get like this just about every year around this time.  I don't transition well from the breakneck pace of May into the lazy days of summer.  I get really lazy and unmotivated but instead of embracing it and enjoying the slower pace of life I continually feel guilty for all this sitting around.  I feel like I need to be productive and I have plenty to do but I also have plenty of time.  Ollie is off for a couple of weeks and then he has an abbreviated schedule for the rest of the summer.  He is a huge help in the summer--doing dishes, laundry, cooking, it's great.  So, why am I all in a funk?  I have no idea...I do have a solution though--some alone time away from home.  I am going away for the weekend mostly by myself.  Ollie will join me for a night but I will have two nights and some day time too all alone and I can't wait.  I'm a super social person but I also crave time to just be by myself.  That's because I'm a people pleaser to a fault and when I am with people I am constantly thinking about them and their needs or wants and I don't relax very well.  I just need to recharge myself.  I'm taking my computer, it will be a working vacation--I need to do a schedule for our children's ministry at church and I need to do some end of the year wrap up/plan for next school year.  I'm also taking a book or two and my Bible.  I may not leave the hotel room except to go in search of food and maybe visit the gym if the hotel has a good one.  I'm in full workout every day mode right now.  My spare tire isn't shrinking by much but I am hopeful and optimistic.  :0)  Hopefully, this short little vacay from real life and responsibilities will do the trick to make that transition and embrace and enjoy the summer with my family. 
In other news...Joe has a college going in our home right now complete with a full schedule including "Jim."  Translation:  gym.  :0)  All of our rooms are labeled with letters and there is a big sign on our living room wall.  It goes with the decor...our theme is early childhood education.  He has yet to teach any classes, not sure how that will work.  I'm pretty much addicted to Sudoku and although I'm not fast yet I can consistently work entire puzzles in the Easy section of my book and have even done one in the Medium section.  Hannah is looking for babysitting jobs...if you are a local blog reader and have young children, give her a call!  "Banana Babies" aka dark chocolate covered frozen bananas are about the best thing ever.  I have been buying them when they are BOGO at Publix but I want to figure out how to make them. 
Peace out peeps!

4 comments:

ann marie said...

Greg bought those banana things and no one ate them. They are the only food item in my house that no one touched. I may buy more, as I really only like buying food my kids won't eat. And I'm jealous of your weekend alone! I hope you enjoy it!

Melissa said...

Hope your mostly alone weekend is fantastic! We love those Banana Babies!

Julie said...

I'm craving a banana baby right now! Because you posted about those right after the part about Hannah looking for babysitting jobs, I first thought you were saying that's what her babysitting business was going to be called (sometimes I read fast and skip words), like "Hannah's Banana Babies"!

Elizabeth said...

We're looking for a babysitter around November ;0)