Monday, June 4, 2012

Daybook Style....

Outside my window...my own yard...after 10 days in GA we are home!

Today...We left my parent's house at 6:15 this morning and drove and drove all day.  I have made this drive countless times and could "do it in my sleep," except that there is no sleeping.  I am on high alert all the way down I-75.  That road scares me, there are wrecks on that road, big wrecks and I don't want to be in one.  It takes me about 7 1/2 hours or so to make the drive and I am tense pretty much the whole way.  Both hands on the steering wheel at all times so that I have control if a tire blows out.  I am aware of every car near me and stay far away from big trucks.  The  kids and I usually stop twice.  Once for gas and candy entering and leaving GA (where gas is cheaper) and once for lunch with potty breaks at both stops.  They watch DVDs the whole way and I listen to books on CD the whole way.  It's a good system and everything usually goes smoothly.  Oh and I pray...and pray...and pray some more.  Thanking God for His protection every step of the way.  I'm also terrified of getting a flat tire or having car trouble so I pray about those things too.  Once I get home, I crash...today I took an hour and a half nap...fell asleep about 20 minutes after pulling in the driveway.

Books I'm reading...I read two great books in GA.  One was Catch Me by Lisa Gardner and it was excellent.  I have liked every book of hers I've read so far.  I also re-read (something I almost never do) The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  I found it at a Goodwill and I had just told one of my mom's friends about it so I bought it for her.  But first, I had to read it again.  I loved it just as much the second time and decided I'd buy it everytime I find it at a used bookstore (as long as it's cheap) and give it to someone who hasn't read it.  It's that good.  I listened to two more books on my drive--The Walk and Miles to Go by Richard Paul Evans.  They are the first two books in a three book series and they were so good.  They definitely kept me interested and helped those miles to fly by.  I have the third one waiting for me at the library and I can't wait to read it.  Before I left I read a young adult novel by him (RPE) called Michael Vey, Prisoner of Cell 25.  It was so good!  Thank you to Julie for these book recommendations.  I have a whole stack of books on my nightstand, not sure what I'm reading next thought.  Right now I'm in the middle of a humor diet book.  Which leads me to--

On my mind...food...what to eat and what not to eat.  I absolutely have to get serious about losing weight.  No more excuses.  So, trying to decided whether to "diet" and follow an actual plan like the Maker's Diet or South Beach or just to do better about applying what I already know.  I do better on a strict plan but only for a period of time and it usually really stresses me out.  On the other hand, I'm a big cheater...anyway, for today the big plan is to exercise every day at the gym and sometimes the pool and eat less, cut out morning coffee (full of sugar for me) and most sugar in general and cut back on carbs.  I'll give that a week or two and see what happens.  Oddly enough, after being in GA all week and eating whatever I wanted which included ice cream almost every day...I actually lost weight while I was there if the scale is to be trusted.  I don't know...I hate this but I'm overweight and unhealthy and scared of getting the sugar (diabetes).  I'm developing/have developed the inner tube around my waist that is one of the risk factors.  I made it to the gym this afternoon, even after driving all day so I'm hopefully off to a good start.  I'm even going to go to the gym when Aunt Flow is visiting.  Really.

From the homeschool room....Hannah still has to finish Ender's Game this week and G, J, and I have to finish Miracle on Maple Hill.  Then we are in summer vacay mode.  Math for G and J every day, chores, reading, and maybe an art project or two.  I have to get reading bingo made up and new chore lists for everyone.  Fun, fun!  I will also hopefully be selling my curriculum this week to make room for next year.  I love prepping for next year.  As Julie said, "Planning for next year is way more fun than finishing this year."

Other upcoming plans...our calendar is almost completely bare.  We have a break from theatre until July 9 and no VBS's for a few weeks so we actually have some free time.  This will probably make us all nuts.  Just sayin'.

Gotta go..dinner's ready and Ollie's almost home.  We haven't seen him in 10 days and we've missed him!


4 comments:

Grammy said...

enjoyed your visit so!! I too pray for you as you travel and then send up my praises for getting my baby girl and her babies home safe and sound!! Love you!!
Mom

DebiH. said...

Welcome home!

Melissa said...

Glad you are home!!!!!

Julie said...

I loved the Lisa Gardner book that I read on this trip (Love you More) and I'm looking forward to reading all of her books this summer.