From the kitchen...I made chocolate zucchini muffins today and they were so good! I used coconut oil, my freshly milled wheat, and flaxseed meal and they had zucchini so they were semi-healthy. Other than these muffins I have been pretty uninspired in the kitchen lately. I absolutely can't wait for soup weather. We'll be having soup and fresh bread or biscuits practically every night as soon as it cools off. Speaking of fresh bread, I really want to master making our own bread. I haven't even really tried but now I have it in my head that I want to learn and teach the girls while I learn so that we can all successfully make bread. Ollie's brother made the best bread while we were at Madeline Island this summer and he totally inspired me. Of course, I've yet to do much with that inspiration but I'll get to it.
On my iPod...I just recently bought a whole Sara Groves album and my favorite song is "How is it Between Us." It's all about feeling stressed and crazy and then evaluating how things are between yourself and God. One of the lines is "when did I talk to You last and what has happened since..." I just love it. Her songs speak right to my heart.
What I'm reading...I just started a Jodi Picoult book that I've avoided in the past. The title is "Second Glance," and it's all about ghosts. The idea of ghosts freaks me out which is why I've avoided this book but a friend recommended it and brought it to church so I decided to read it. So far it's great, of course. Jodi Picoult is awesome. Just before reading this I read, "Shadows of Lancaster County," and it was very good, I highly recommend that one.
What I'm reading to the kids...We read for about an hour every morning. First the Bible, then something from The Book of Virtues, and then one or two other books--usually at least one just fun chapter book and often something related to history. So, we just finished up Pippi Longstocking and we've been reading various books of Greek Myths for a few weeks now. Today we started Augustus Caesar's World and I'm really excited about it. I've heard great things about those books and it goes right along with our history. Once we finish the Greek Myths I will start reading a classic novel--probably Wizard of Oz. Our reading time is the best time of the day for me and I hope for the kids!
From our homeschool...we just finished our third week of school. So far, so good but I'm frustrated with myself for once again letting outside distractions encroach upon our school time. A couple of days this week I found myself distractedly schooling or rushing in order to finish and skipping things because we ran out of time. So far my calendar for next week is mostly empty. As you can see in the picture towards the bottom of this post I scrawled across the week, "Just Say NO!" and reminded myself of some things I'd like to have time for and the only way that will happen is to stay home and focus each and every day. I am happy with our curriculum and all three kids seem happy with it as well. The big thing I changed this year was our language arts curriculum and we started Rod and Staff. I love it! It's very thorough and takes things step by step. My only complaint is that Virtual school takes so long. I don't recommend taking three classes at a time unless at least one of them is an academic class. It really is alot to do each day/week.
Around the house...it's tidy but in desperate need of a good, deep cleaning. One of these weekends I'll get motivated and git 'er done. Until then, well, it's tidy. I'm looking forward to doing some fall decorating. There are a couple of neat craft projects in the latest Family Fun magazine that look fun. Hoping to make time for them next week...
Some picture thoughts...
4 comments:
Catching up on some blogs on my morning iPod check. Heading back to see Cindy and more of Disney, starting next week I need to "just say no too"! Some school is getting done in the car, but I haven't figured out how to get laundry done in the car yet!
Great update! Thanks!
Making bread is really sort of easy and totally worth it. Kate makes ours all the time, because as easy as it is, I'm just plain lazy and I don't always feel like getting my hands sticky and full of flour.
It was so great to FINALLY meet you in person, Tiffany!!!! :)
Post a Comment