Thursday, April 10, 2014

Seven Quick Takes plus a short one

1.  Over the years I have instituted various methods for keeping my house clean.  One of my most effective methods that I really, really need to start using again is Zone Cleaning.  Basically, I split my house into 4 zones and I would focus on one of the 4 zones for one week out of each month.  I would still do basic housework in the other zones but I would do a deeper clean, de-clutter, clean out, whatever needed to be done in the zone of the week.  Well, this week as I was making a list of the things I need to do to take care of myself--hair cut, get my eyebrows waxed, paint my toenails, and dye my hair--I realized that I should make myself a "zone."  Once every two months, take a week and take care of myself.  Kind of silly I know and a little ridiculous but truly these are the things that I always let go when life gets to be busy.  I've never been good at being a "woman" as far as fashion, makeup and all that goes.  Instead, I'm good at being a "woman" as far as being a mom, cooking, taking care of everyone else, etc.  The kids and I are cleaning the house from top to bottom tomorrow and then I'm going to institute my zone cleaning again--first zone next week--ME!

2.  The kids are well into rehearsals for their next show--Peter Pan, Jr.  Hannah will be playing Tinkerbell, Grace is Tiger Lily (and gets to sing a solo) and a mermaid (when she's not Tiger Lily), and Joe is playing Michael.  They are all happy with their parts and really excited.  The only Joe isn't terribly excited about is that his costume will definitely be a big sleeper.  Probably blue instead of pink though (in the movie it's pink).

3.  Hannah finished her two virtual school classes last week and made an A in both.  She was taking English I Honors and Earth Space Science Honors.  She really enjoyed both classes and learned a lot this year.  On Monday she started Driver's Ed on virtual school.  Aaaaahhhh!!!!!  She also has a few more chapters in Algebra, and a bunch of World History to read and a research paper to write and then her 9th grade year will be done.  It has been a good, productive school year.  Now I just need to start that transcript!

4.  Grace is finishing her three virtual school classes probably next week.  Then she will be doing double math for a while so that she can finish Saxon 8/7.  I think she'll have to double up on history as well to finish that by the end of the year.  I'm also considering signing her up on the Always Ice Cream website for a month.  They have all sorts of learning games and stuff for grades K to 8.  I figure she can spend an hour a day on there and review skills.

5.  School with Joe is...well....school with Joe.  It has its ups and downs but he is learning and that's all that counts.  Today he started a 5 week Gaming 101 class at the Microsoft Store.  He loved it and is looking forward to next week when he gets to start creating his terrain and build a character.  I am doing standardized testing with all three kids the first week of May and depending on how Joe does, he may be done with 5th grade at that point.  The only thing we are at all behind on and I'm not even sure we're behind is with math.  At the rate we're going we won't finish the book by the end of the year but I'm okay with continuing where we left off next year.  We'll see...

6.  I've read some good books lately and added them to the list on the sidebar.  I'm sure I've said this but I star the ones that I think are worth reading.  The jury's out for me on the Divergent series.  I really liked Divergent but slogged my way through Insurgent and am no struggling to get into Allegiant.  I like the idea of the story and I definitely want to keep reading to see how it all ends but it's not a fun read or a fast read for me because I constantly get distracted from it.  I think that's because it's very superficial...characters aren't deep enough to really pull you in.  I've got some other books that I'm looking forward to starting, specifically Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson.  It comes highly recommend and is my next book!

7.  I'm tutoring A LOT.  There are some days that I feel like I am doing math allll day.  It's good to have the extra money and I enjoy it but lately I think I've taken on too much.  The thing is though, I can't let my students down once I take them on, I get attached and have a vested interest in seeing them excel or at least pass.  :0)  Thankfully the school year will be over soon and until then I'll keep juggling.  I'm not a very good friend, neighbor, or church person right now though because I am just so busy.  I can barely keep up with my home, family, and school.  Those are the important things anyway!

8.  Grace turned 13 last Sunday!!  A post and pictures coming soon!

3 comments:

Julie said...

You're still a good friend!!

Julie said...

Also just looked at your book list, let's discuss girl at the end of the world and before I fall!

Melissa said...

Your "zone for you" idea made me laugh. I've starting wearing a little makeup to work, which is quite unusual for me. Today, I stabbed myself in the eye with the mascara wand thingy....which make me cry and make a mess of the mascara. Maybe I'm not really old enough to wear makeup yet.