Saturday, November 7, 2009

Learning About the Seminole Indians

Grace and Joe are in the middle of a great unit study on Native Americans, I plan to post lots of pictures when we are done next week. Anyway, I signed up for this field trip two months ago not realizing that we would be doing this study at this time. It could not have been more perfect! We had a "pocket" on the Seminoles that we did the day before this field trip and so we already had some knowledge of the Seminoles to now build upon. Our group traveled to five different stations and the first was Patchwork. This nice lady taught us about the patchwork clothes that the Seminoles made and wore.




This lady shared some of the Seminole legends and had some great animal skins to go along with her stories.

Then we learned about clans and each kid was put in a clan. Hannah, Jake, and Tyler were in the bear clan. Joe, Katherine, and Evan were in the Otter clan. Grace was in the Snake clan but I didn't get a picture. We learned a lot of interesting things about the clans from our teacher who is a Native American himself.


Then we got to make pottery and learn how they made and used pottery.
And finally to the "kitchen" where we got to taste some corn mush--not the right now but I don't remember what she called it.
The field trip was wonderful and I'd love to go back for a tour through the Indian village. That was the afternoon session and we weren't able to stay for it.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

what a great field trip!! we would have loved this one too. and you know I loved those patchwork photos!

Anonymous said...

The mush was called sofkee
I think.

Debbie said...

looks like a really fun day! where were you guys??

Shawnie said...

Ask Joe if he remembers any of the Native American songs he learned from Pow Wow week at the Preschool