Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Getting Up Early and Other Stuff

I just can't do it anymore.  Ever since about Thanksgiving I just can't get up before 7:30 or 8.  I set my alarm and then just hit snooze over and over and over until I either give up and turn it off or until it's 7:30 or 8.  Even when I determine the night before that I will get up early no matter what, I still don't.  I have all sorts of groggy excuses that win out over responsibilities and guilt and everything else.  I've finally about decided to just go with it.  The only thing is that the main reason I get up early is to have a quiet time of prayer and Bible reading in the you know, quiet.  So, I think it's time to change that and start having a quiet time later in the morning or in the afternoon or something.  Maybe it's the cold weather...

In our homeschool we are working on a "Story of Jamestown" lapbook and it's going really well.  I got it from In the Hands of a Child and one thing I love is how it is designed to be used with multiple grade levels.  For example, in the book about the three reasons why the initial location for Jamestown was a poor choice--Joe traced the three reasons, Grace copied them, and Hannah wrote them in her own words.  We should be done with it by Friday so it's fast too.  I really love lapbook learning, I think the kids retain more when they make all the little mini books, and it's something to go back and look at.  We are going to Williamsburg in April and we will be taking our lapbooks (next we are doing one on Colonial America) to review once we are there.  I'll post pictures this weekend when we are done.  

I am loving American Idol!  I think having a different girl judge each city has made it interesting.  I'm sure things will really get interesting once Ellen starts up.  Does she know anything about music though??  Or is she just there to be funny?  Last night was too short though.  I'm sure they could have stretched that to an hour and showed more funny auditions.  

I really want to do a post about books but the only thing I've been reading is some old copies of Reader's Digest I got from Debi.  I LOVE Reader's Digest and have had a subscription forever but cancelled it last year to save a little money.  Thanks to Debi for passing on old copies.  On my bedside table is a book by Kristen Hannah called "Between Sisters,"  I'll post about it if I ever get it read.  There are so many books on my "to read" list...

Well, I've got a snotty boy in my lap who needs some attention.  I think he's come down with a cold overnight--joy, joy!  He has some kind of disgusting little habits  when he is snotty.  Like sticking his fingers up his nose and blowing out all the snot and then licking his fingers.  EEEEEEWWWW!!

6 comments:

Deana said...

I have the same problem with getting up early. I really do feel better after i have quiet time. (plus I think I'm alot more patient-at least for about an hour :) I would love to see one of your lapbooks. I am trying to get the hang of them, but I think I am making it too complicated. Hope Joe feels better!!

ann marie said...

Thanks for telling us that about Joe. No, really, thank you, I've been trying to lose weight and that certainly will make me never want to eat again. I think I'll come back and read it every time I want to overeat. I hope he feels better :)
Yes, it is harder getting up when it's cold out.

Anonymous said...

You know what has helped us getting up early recently...family worship. Seriously. Mike and I get up at 5:30 and go workout, we come home, I get breakfast ready, and we (Mike, the kids, and I)gather around the breakfast table for prayer and the word. It is amazing to see the difference in our day.

Shawnie said...

ummmm...ewwwwww..TMI on Joe...LOL!!!

Tiffany said...

Deana--I'd love to show off, I mean show you our lapbooks...let's plan a time for you guys to come over and I can bore you to death. :0)
Am--I'm glad I can help with your weight loss plan. Do you want him to come do it in person for you?
Steph--family worship sounds awesome! What a blessing for your family!
Shawnie--:0)

Steph C. said...

You have GOT to be kidding me about Joe. Tell him you told me that. Lol