Monday, June 27, 2016

Europe 2016...Liverpool...part two

 Our tour took us to another church, I don't remember the name of this one but it was so interesting.  They were actually getting ready for a special Queen's birthday service and we got to listen to the choir practicing.  The sanctuary was such an interesting mix of very old and modern.  For example, below is a huge, beautiful stained glass window and then right under is a neon sign that says, "I felt you and I knew you loved me." The picture below that one is a full store right in the sanctuary.  It sold all sorts of Liverpool souvenirs as well as Bibles and stuff.  I actually got a Tabloid Bible there.  It's pretty funny...all of the normal Bible stories but with Tabloid style "articles" and headlines. 



 We had some extra time there after we looked inside and we took some time to walk through the gardens down the hill from the church.  There were tons of memorial stones lined up all along the walls and in the grass. 





 The last stop our bus made was mainly a bathroom stop but they chose to stop at the Liverpool Public Library which was really impressive!  Cheryl, the kids, and I ended our tour there and continued to tour the city for another few hours.  We took the kids over to the Cavern Club and to the pier. 

 Above is the walkway into the library...all book titles! 

 We all needed some snacks to fuel the rest of our sightseeing.  We took this opportunity to taste some British snacks.  the spirals were actually shrimp flavored but were surprisingly not super gross. 



 We got to go down into the Cavern Club this time, it was down about 4 flights of steps.  There was a band playing and it was loud and so fun!  We saw some more cruise friends, they told us that with our Disney cruise lanyards, we could do in for free.  Sooo fun!




 This statue above is called a Lambanana.  It is the symbol for Liverpool because I guess a long time ago, they had lots of sheep and bananas as cargo in their ports.  These sculptures are all over the place, all decorated differently.  Below is on the pier near our ship.  They were showing Disney movies there all day.  I had promised a picture of the Beatles done in jellybeans but I think it failed to upload so I'll have to upload it and post it later in another post.  The last picture here is a picture from our ship of the street and pier area before the fireworks, lots and lots of people!!


1 comment:

Steph b said...

I love that library!!!!