Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Clean Up, Clean Up, Everybody Everywhere

The kids and I just finished doing a quick clean up.  Sweeping, potties, vacuuming, and folding some clothes.  I have family coming in this weekend so we needed to do a little shaping up around here.  I might even clean my microwave.  :0)  My mom always notices if my microwave is dirty.  To her defense, she is very nice about it--she knows I have better things to do like school my children and read to them and love on them, quilt, cook, etc.  She also will usually clean it for me.  Now there's an idea...maybe I won't clean my microwave.  So, I was getting all revved up to clean and was on the phone with S.  She was saying that she enjoyed cleaning but that she doesn't get to do it as much because the kids really need to learn.  Until she said that I had fully planned on doing all my chores myself today.  It is really soooo much easier to do it that way.  I have yet to really get my kids involved in regularly cleaning.  They all help out when asked and are learning skills.  I know that if I took the time more to let them practice and train them that someday I would seldom have to clean and my house would look pretty good most of the time.  I know all this in my head but when it comes down to it I often just do it myself.  So, I was convicted by what she said and right then I said, "I'm involving the kids of course."  As though that were the plan all along.  :0)  And when I got off the phone I did involve them.  Hannah did the sweeping and did a great job.  I really didn't know she could do it so well.  I taught Grace how to thoroughly clean a potty.  Joe "helped" me vacuum.  The girls folded a couple of loads of laundry and put them away.  And check, check, check I am almost done with my list and some skills got practiced.  I also got to practice memorizing and reciting a Bible verse--"Do everything without complaining and arguing so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God."  Thanks S for the kick in the butt that you didn't know you were giving.

3 comments:

Grammy said...

I'm sure that's how I taught you house keeping skills!! What a hoot, I will be glad to clean the microwave if need be...
Love you, Mom

Steph C. said...

Wow! You're right, I didn't even know. You little conversational cheater. I thought we were just chatting! And I will resist the inclination to apologize! Lol I SO wanted to clean today but still made the kids. (I got my room in though and some laundry!!!) HILARIOUS (but not really) that our bible time today was also that same verse in Phillipians!!!! We decided to see if we could go 24 hours without complaining or arguing...don't ask.
Also the one before about obeying when the authority is NOT there (Paul was commenting on the church doing that) and after about that it is GOD that works in us to act and will according to His good purpose, not US! Love you lots!

Anonymous said...

We actually have that verse on the wall in our school room. When the kids (or myself for that matter) start to complain about something, I have them read the verse and find what they were beginning to complain about and see how it is a blessing to them.