Friday, December 7, 2007
Happy Birthday Jesus party
We had our annual Happy Birthday Jesus party today at the park. Everyone brings a dish to share for lunch, an unwrapped toy to donate to Toys for Tots, and a wrapped coloring book to swap. We eat, then read the Christmas story and talk about why we have Christmas, then sing Happy Birthday and eat cake. Everyone gets to take home a coloring book. We have been doing it for 7 years now and it is always such a fun time and such a blessing. One new tradition we started two years ago is running over any remaining cake. How did this get started you may ask? Well, at our other church I knew some people who run over their gingerbread houses every year. So, two years ago I was walking into a store and on the phone leaving a message for a friend. She was making the cake for the party the next day. I had also just been given a store bought cake. So, I was trying to tell her that I had a cake if she wanted to be released from the cake making job but I also knew how much she usually enjoyed making the cake. As I was leaving the message I just said, "if we don't need the other cake we can just run over it or something, bye!" So, the next day we did have extra cake and I ran over it as I left. It turns out that that was a huge thrill for the kids and they have never forgotten so we did it again last year. I knew they would be expecting to do it again this year and was concerned that we might not have extra cake so I bought some Little Debbie Christmas tree cakes. This was fun because lots of people got to run over cakes. It was pretty funny and the kids really got into it. A corny tradition but a fun one! I have to add that the first year as we were driving away Hannah was completely mortified. She said, "Why mom? Why did YOU have to be the one to run over the cake?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I am glad you are back and blogging. Running the cake over was a blast!! Write that tradition down on the star
I'm soooooooo sorry I had to miss the running over of the cake. I heard it was quite spectacular. Next year!!!!
I am glad I checked. True bloggers can't stay in the dark for long. Ha Ha!
I am mortified (like Hannah S.) about this tradition. My gingerbread in on my dining room table (rotting) where it should be. Death to whomever should try to railroad it!
Welcome back! I must admit, my kids too were mortified over the idea of running over Jesus's cake! Lol
Sorry I missed it though...too tough a day showing the house considering she loved it! :(
Not only did we miss running over the cake, we missed the entire Happy Birthday Jesus party! We had to stay home for the carpet guys to come. They could have told me they wouldn't be out here until late afternoon. We could have come!!! All in the name of progress, I guess. Glad you guys had fun.
Sounds like you all had a great time. Nice to see you back and blogging.... I was needing a Patterson fix. ;0)
Post a Comment