I decided to share this meal with you guys. It's tough economic times and we could all use some good, easy, cheap meal ideas. This is not your Old El Paso meal--to make it extra tasty and extra cheap--you have to make it the old fashioned way. I probably make this at least once a week. It's fast and easy to start beans in the morning. If I'm too lazy or not up for frying the tortillas--we just make mini tostadas with tortilla chips.
Tostadas
3-4 cups of dried pinto beans
corn tortillas
toppings--cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, and anything else you like on a taco
Cook your beans until soft. I do this in a crock pot but you can do it over the stove. You can soak the beans overnight but it isn't necessary. Let them cook on low all day or all night or all day and all night--beans cannot be overcooked. Add plenty of salt.
First thing you'll do to start dinner is fry the tortillas. I put a stone or just a pan in the oven at about 180 degrees to keep the tortillas hot after you fry them and before you serve them. Fry the corn tortillas in about a 1/2 inch of oil until brown and crisp--not overly brown. That would be almost burnt. Yuck! Fry as many as you think your family will eat. I usually fry 12-15 at a time. After you are done frying the tortillas and they are in the oven staying warm. Add some more oil to the pan and drain your beans and put them into the oil. Use a potato masher to mash them while they are in the hot oil. Mash until they are the consistency of refried beans. Check for saltiness and add more if needed. When the whole mass moves in the pan as a whole (when you pick up the skillet and shake it) they are done. After making refried beans from scratch you will never go back to canned--they do not even compare.
Get out your hot tortillas. To serve--spread a tortilla with beans, add cheese and whatever other toppings you like.
*If your family can't imagine a meal without meat you can always top the beans and cheese with any shredded meat or ground beef.
As you can see--Gracie loves lots of sour cream on hers.
12 comments:
Yum!!
...and I second the fact that the beans are MUCH better than canned!
Tostadas!! woo hoo!!! You have stolen my heart - as this is my all time FAVORITE food to eat. Now, if I could just get my kids to eat beans... I don't get it, their mother is a beaner (haha) and they can't stand them!
yummies!! I haven't been able to keep up with your postings... you're on a roll girl! :)
This sounds yummy! My crew is learning that some meals don't have to have meat, and can still be called dinner ;)
We will definitely try this this week.
Everyone would love? Aren't you forgetting someone? Don't you dare say "everyone normal" either,LOL.
I'm going to try this...I think I'll do it with black beans...
Everyone here would love it...
looks yummy. I like Gracie's idea- lots of sour cream!
We do a similar thing...we love it.
also , Anthony hates beans but I am devious and told him "oh, that's vegatarian meat." He fell for it. He doesn't know what the heck it is but it has the word meat in it so he assumes it's meat.
And really, could Grace get any cuter? She is sooooo cute I almost can't stand it.
I'm going to have to try this.
We have this once a week too. Everyone except The Warrior likes it. He usually ends up having a 2 hash browns, 2 sausage patties and some fruit. He is not a sandwich, lunch meat, cheese guy. I have a hard time coming up with ideas of what to feed him.
Okay...since I was home all day I attempted refried black beans. I used Safflower Oil and it came out WAY yummy. Thank you for the motivation...I'll never go back to canned! :)
I cheat and use the shells that are prepackaged. Other than that, it's what we do quite often. You can use chicken, turkey, pork, or if you're in the mood to splurge, fish or shrimp. We love them.
Cristy
Post a Comment