I am trying some new meal ideas this week. We have been trying to eat mostly vegetarian and to be honest, I've been pretty uninspired. We've had some good meals but it's hard to decide what to make that feels like a full meal. I got a new cookbook at the library. It's a vegetarian cookbook and all the recipes are 5 ingredients or less. I have chosen some recipes to try this week and I plan to blog about them all--aren't you excited?? So, tonight we are having Cabbage and white beans (thank you to AnnMarie for this meal idea) and Barley and Corn Salad (from the cookbook).
Here are the recipes--
Cabbage and white beans--
Melt a few tablespoons of butter or heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. Slice up a head of cabbage into thin slices and add to the pan. Let that saute for a little while until the cabbage is pretty soft. Add some salt to taste and 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar. Then when the cabbage is fairly soft, add 2 cans of drained, white beans. Let it all simmer together until it's hot.
Barley and Corn Salad
1 cup pearl barley
10 oz. pkg. frozen corn or 2 cups fresh corn kernels, cooked
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 c. fresh parsley or 1/4 c. fresh dill (I don't have either but plan on using dried dill)
1/2 - 2/3 cup of vinaigrette
Cook the barley and let it cool to room temp. Add the rest of the ingredients and serve.
I'll report back on how the fam likes it. It won't be anybody's favorite but hopefully it will pass.
5 comments:
I have a really good red lentil recipe that has been a staple at our place lately and I think its 5 ingredients or less.
Make some brown rice while you are cooking the lentils.
Red Lentil Deliciousness
1. Heat 3 TB of sesame oil.
2. Stir in 1 tsp of curry powder,
1 cup rinsed red lentils, 3 cups of water with 1 tsp of bouillon.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook till lentils are soft.
4. Coat a frying pan with butter and fry up some eggs.
5. Layer plate with brown rice, red lentils and a fried egg on top. Serve with mango ginger chutney or all by itself. (You can get yummy chutney at Trader Joes so if you like chutney you will have to stock up when you are here this summer!)
Or serve with some giardenera on it!
Thanks Lisa! That sounds so good!!
Don't forget the beano :)
Tomorrow, we're having Mango Quinoa Salad with steamed broccoli and sliced tomatoes. I've been eyeballing your paneer recipe you posted awhile ago. I'm eyeballing the new ones you post, too.
I picked up a vegetarian cookbook at the library....I might just have my cooking mojo back.
Post a Comment