Monday, June 6, 2011
Piercing Woes
Last Saturday it had been 4 weeks since I had gotten my nose pierced and I was clear to change my jewelry. I was too chicken and had no intention of even trying but then on Friday night I brushed my nose while doing some tie dyeing and my "ring" (seems weird to call it a ring b/c really it's just a post) fell out. So, I rushed to the bathroom and washed my hands and washed the ring and put it back in. It wasn't easy to get back in... which confirmed for me that I wouldn't be changing it the next day. Well, a couple of days later I developed a small bump next to the piercing. It got a little bigger over the next couple of days and by Sunday I had people telling me left and right that I had a bump on my piercing. It felt like a blister and so I thought I could just pop it and that's what I tried to do last night. I sterilized a safety pin with alcohol and poked that pesky little bump. Well, that started it bleeding and turned the whole bump red. The bump didn't go down at all but is now an ugly shade of red. So, I did what I should've done days ago and googled it. Apparently the bump is very common after some sort of trauma like knocking it out (which I did) or trying to change the jewelry too soon--they recommend waiting 6 months before changing it. The one thing you are NOT supposed to do is poke it with a pin. So, I have probably delayed the healing and also now drawn more attention to it b/c it's red now. Have I mentioned how red it is? The course of action is to soak a washcloth in super hot salt water and hold it on the nose as a compress for 5 minutes a few times a day. Also, to keep it super clean and don't touch it at all unless you've just washed your hands. It's supposed to clear up in a week or two. We'll see...for now, if you see me please don't tell me that I have a bump on my piercing--I know I do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hope it heals. I meant to tell you awhile back - Heidi told me to tell you that if you ever had any problems or questions you could ask her. She had a couple of issues when she first got hers done.
I'd like to see a picture so that I can see if I notice the redness and the bump. :)
Yes, picture please. It might not be that red. Maybe you should put a little red sticker somewhere else on your face to draw attention away from the redness on your nose. Wasn't there a 90's boardgame that had something like that...like zit stickers? anywho, im sure its not that super obvious and you probably still look adorable as ever.
you know I was just thinking that you could have a little fun with this redness and bumpiness. You can tell people that you and that amardillo across your street got in a fight yesterday morning while you were taking out the garbage. You won the fight but he gave you a nasty scratch on your nose....
Glad to hear it will heal - just time and patience.
Post a Comment