Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

We had a great day, not a super romantic day--that's not our style. Every day's Valentine's day at our house. Hah! But really, neither of us really get into Valentine's Day. We've never bought each other gifts or cards. Sometimes we make cards for each other and we always make some sort of special dinner. Usually Ollie makes the special dinner. Tonight it's Pad Thai! Yum, he makes the best Pad Thai! We spent the day together as a family and had a lot of fun. First we visited a friend's church and heard a good message about loving unconditionally. Then we went looking for a space heater and instead bought shoes. Ollie got some loafer style shoes and I got some Converse! I am soooo excited. I have wanted Converse for years and years but my feet have been in bad condition for years and years and so I have lived in Birkenstocks. Now that my feet are almost completely better I am occasionally wearing other shoes for short periods of time. So, I got myself some blue gingham Converse and I am pretty thrilled. Then we came home for a quick lunch and then went out hunting Gowalla sites. This is an iphone thing similar to letterboxing and geocaching except that you go to sites and "check in" and drop or pick up fictitious items. You have to be in close range of the site to check in so we walked all over town checking in to places. There were about 10 or more in just the downtown area. After that we drove around town checking in to more places and then went looking for a ghost town about 15 miles from where we live. We found it sort of--we found a cemetery with three graves and did some walking through the woods. Joe found a very old piece of wood that might have been part of an old house. On the way home we stopped at a park with a cool climbing wall and the kids climbed and climbed while I sat on a bench and froze. Now we are home and Ollie is cooking and the kids are watching Harry Potter and I am blogging. It was great family time today and I am thankful for it. So many days and weekends go by with us all getting busy with our own thing that we need days like this here and there. I've decided not to go to Animal Kingdom tomorrow--there is a chance for rain and I don't want to risk it. Disney is not so fun in the rain. Especially not Animal Kingdom when you are wanting to see animals outside. Instead we will start our week off right with a full school day. My goal is to finish the science experiment book this week along with getting through our normal academics. I think we can do it. I have about one week a month where I am really, really crazy industrious and I can feel myself heading into that...woohoo for getting a lot done this week!!
Oh, and I am going to have to read Alan Jackson's wife's book--Deana, can I borrow it? He sounds like quite the player in so many of his songs. Maybe he's writing about his younger days.

9 comments:

Deana said...

Of course you can borrow the book. Just let me know when is a good time & I will get it to you. and past on some of that industriousness to me because I seem to be anti-industrious these days...
Gowalla sounds neat, I have wanted to try letterboxing (it is on my list :)

Julie said...

Sounds like a great day!

Debbie said...

what a nice day!!!!

Unknown said...

Exactly how does one go out planning to buy a space heater and end up buying shoes??

Glad you had a great day!

Leisa said...

I agree with the commenter above

Cheryl said...

gosh! enjoyed catching up! the Queen mother picture of you and friend is really good! proud of you for calling a halt before getting carried away!

if you put the pointer along the lines and dots in that one comment, you can see each dot would take you to a different link... how strange is that? I didn't start clicking but at least one I saw said "adult" so I wouldn't click any of them.

Tiffany said...

I deleted that weirdo comment, I had been meaning to but kept forgetting. Thanks for reminding me Cheryl!

Gabi Bucataru said...

Wait a minute Tiff!

You got a pair of BLUE Converse?!?!?

So it means you are in the club (Hannah, Ellie, Me)??

Also - you need to learn to write with paragraphs!! My eyes get jumpy if I read a whole chunk of paragraph. :-)

YAY!!!

G

Tiffany said...

Gabi--your eyes get jumpy because you are old, not because I write in paragraphs! You don't hear anyone else complaining do you?
Yes--blue gingham--that means checkered. I'll post a pic eventually. I love them.