Monday, February 8, 2010

Priorities and Wise Choices

So, I have been on a long journey towards making my life less stressful and enjoying my days more.  I've been making progress very slowly for a few years now.  One step forward and two steps back.  I tend to do way too much and then I don't enjoy anything I do.  I am ridiculously driven in certain areas and it's not good for me or my family.  I had a small victory tonight, I realized I was trying to do too much and made a wise decision.  Here's the deal.  We have a super busy week, let me break it down for you (like you care but bear with me here)--

Monday (that was today)--Zoo School at Busch Gardens (2 hour drive) and a trip to Parksdale Farms for strawberry shortcake and then 2 hours home.

Tuesday--tutor from 11:30 to 12:30 (to make up for missing this afternoon) and then run errands and maybe do some socializing before theatre.  This is usually our park day and my kids will revolt if I don't take them somewhere to play with friends.

Wednesday--Writing club for Hannah and a craft club sort of thing for Grace and Joe from 12 to 4.

Thursday--Disney!!  We upped our free passes and got three more days at Disney and I am determined to use them all while the parks are so empty (relatively) and before the spring breakers arrive.

Friday--tutor in the morning?? (to make up for missing Thursday) and Valentine party at 2.  

In between all of these activities we will be doing some school.  Not all that I would like to do but we will be doing the basics the three mornings that we are home.  In addition to chores and the normal house and dinner stuff.  So, with ALL of this already on our plate this week I happened upon the Crafty Crow blog and all sorts of CUTE and easy Valentine crafts.  I started thinking that we could add them in at some point.  I also bought some really cute wooden trees with hearts that hang a few weeks ago for the kids to paint and use as a decoration.  I came to my senses before it was too late (translation--I hadn't spent any money yet nor had I gotten us started only to freak out and ruin it for everyone) and realized that we have less than a week until Valentine's so what is the point of using our few hours this week to make decorations that will be up so briefly.  I am going to put the trees away in the Valentine box and we will tackle those next year.  As for this week...the only Valentining that will be done is if the girls want to make some cards and that is something they can do on their own in their free time.  I'm proud of myself.  A year ago I would have probably attempted to do it all and then gotten stressed and quit all of it.  

Of course I've allowed this week to get out of control busy.  Like I said, two steps forward one step back...

4 comments:

Leisa said...

I really was hoping my kids would be getting homemade valentines. It's not too late, get busy. Oh and don't you have to make up Maddy's beating, I mean tutoring?? ;)

Cristy said...

I am so good at over scheduling us. If it were just me that would be one thing. Then I realize I ahve to take my three kids with me and I stress. If I would have thought about that before I made plans, wouldn't that have been great?

Small steps...

Melissa said...

I'm right there with ya - been looking at the Crafty Crow - such cute ideas - still trying to figure out how to fit that in this week - maybe I shouldn't be bothered.

Ingle Nook said...

waiting for your reply to my email on FB...let me know!