In response to a few inquiries about my feet and my doctor's appt.--
First of all, I have had problems with my right foot for years--about 7 to be exact. I've had recurring plantar fascitis in that foot. Because I know what it is I no longer see the doctor when it flares up. It's been "flared up" for about 2 or 3 years now. Because I haven't really dealt with it I now have problems in the other foot and both hips. I'm sure all of it is because of compensating for the pain. The ankle of my left foot is really swollen and there are some days that I can truly hardly walk without taking Advil to alleviate the pain. So--I finally decided to talk to my Family Doctor and see what I should do. I also wanted just a general physical. So--we are finally really addressing this. I should note here that there isn't much that can be done for plantar fascitis medically. You have to be diligent about stretching your foot, wearing good shoes, and doing other exercises. I've been good with the first two but lacking in the last. The reason I didn't see a doctor for so long was because I assumed they would just tell me the same thing I had already heard. However, it had really gotten to the point that it was debilitating and I needed to do something about it. So--I've seen the doctor, she put me on a 5 day steroid and a month of anti-inflammatory meds. She has also instructed me to be really diligent about my exercises and get a new pair of tennis shoes--New Balance. She says they are better than my usual Birks. She is really hopeful that we can beat this. I am skeptically hopeful. I honestly cannot imagine walking without pain. I know people do though and it is possible that I will too. I started the steroids yesterday and I feel great!! I know that it is just the medication right now but I'm getting a taste of "normal" feet and I love it. I just have to remind myself not to do too much. The injury is still there just masked right now. So--that's the story of my feet. Any questions?
If you are a praying person, please pray that these interventions will work. There is a surgery available but as most of you know I have no insurance so that is not really an option and isn't always effective.
4 comments:
I'm so sorry you are in such pain. Your in my thoughts and prayers.
My G.I. Joe cracked the growth plates in his feet. He had to be completely off of them for a couple of months. He had to do some exercises a couple times a day and also ice it down. This all happened a few years ago. They have since healed, (pun intended) but he occasionally has pain. Specially when he plays baseball. He now stretches his foot before and after games. He also ices it down. When he's in much pain, he takes ibuprofen. The combination of stretching, icing and meds, make a big difference.
I know moms are real busy. But if we don't take care of ourselves, how will we be able to be the moms God is calling us to be. Take the time to take care of you.
I am so sorry that you have been in pain. I can imagine that with every step you take it must just be awful. I will be praying for you.
-cris
I am praying for you! :)
You know I will be praying, praying, praying for you. I am glad you are feeling some relief.
Post a Comment