I'm crazy tired but unwilling to go to bed yet. I have had NO time to myself today and I need some chill time with just me and my computer. I've decided that I am not going to complain or even mention how busy I have been and how crazy life is right now. So...
Let's talk about cooking and food. I normally love to cook and I am seldom at a loss as to what to cook. Once every week or so I (used to) go through my cookbooks and choose about 5 to 10 recipes and then make a list, shop, and work my way through the recipes. I am normally organized, do some dinner prep early in the day and enjoy my time in the kitchen. Weeelllll...for the past couple of months I have been in a major cooking slump. Major. We have eaten so much spaghetti with jarred sauce (oh the horrors!) and beans and rice that it is just sad. Part of the problem has been lack of time but also diet restrictions are a real pain. I've completely taken dairy out of my diet and severely limited meat. You would be surprised how many good recipes have cheese, cream soups, sour cream, etc. in them. Most of my faves it turns out. I need to find some new family faves but need time to do that. That's what I want for Christmas--time. I think I'll get some although we will be doing a good bit of traveling during Ollie's time off. Our first trip is this Sunday and it's a surprise to the kids so I hesitate to announce it here on my blog. You'll find out next week though. We will be gone from the 20th until the 23rd and then home for a week and then we go to NC and GA for about 5 days leaving the 31st. Anyway, back to food--Ollie and I watched "Food, Inc." the other night and that will really change the way you think about food. It renewed my desire to eat more whole foods and cut out almost all processed foods.
I can't wait for Christmas this year. I am looking forward to some good quantity family time with no science experiments. :0)
I know this has been a really boring post but I am too tired to think properly so I guess I'll have to give in and go to bed.
Peace out!
4 comments:
I have stepped out of my cooking box and gone to some really interesting websites. I do alot of crockpotting, so there's tons I can do with that. I also use the activity section of our history curriculum. And of course, I use your blog. My family really liked the lentils.
We, too, are taking out processed foods from our diet. Sometimes it's a struggle, but we do what we can. One step at a time.
Travel safe, have great trips, and Mele Kalikimaka!
Diet restrictions SUCK! I feel your pain. I too am in such a cooking/meal planning slump.
I'm not at all surprised at how many good meals have cheese and creamed soup...just about all of them!
We don't eat much meat at all, but we do eat cheese. Probably too much. I felt the need to be eating healthier awhile ago and it is hard. I spend lots of time looking at ingredients.I don't go weekly shopping anymore. I go every few days and get fresh things. But it is hard and takes creativity and I just hope it doesn't fizzle out soon. I'm a real fizzler outer. Wow, long boring comment!
Post a Comment