Sunday, May 25, 2008

Summer Project

I have a summer project for myself.  It's not a big project but an intimidating one--what is it you ask????  It is to clean out all the crap, I mean valuable things lurking in my various junk drawers and closets.  If you were to come to my house it might look fairly neat to you, even in some sort of order on some days.  BUT--if you were to open any random drawer, cabinet, or closet you might run screaming from my house.  So, I am going to take baby steps and tackle one closet or drawer a week.  My plan is to clean out big time and give away big time.  I am tired of trying to maintain order amidst too much stuff!  I am really a minimalist at heart but sometimes forget and start collecting stuff.  Then I get disgusted by all our stuff and start shoveling it out the door and to the local thrift store as fast as I can.  That's the mood I'm in.  I started with Hannah's drawers yesterday.  We got her wardrobe down to a reasonable amount of clothing.  Her drawer will be checked nightly and she will be rewarded with a quarter for a clean drawer and punished with a dumped-out-on-the-floor-drawer for a messy drawer.  I am serious here people--I am so tired of finding wadded up, inside out, DIRTY clothes in her overflowing-so-bad-you-can't-shut-it drawer.  I'm starting on Grace's drawer tomorrow and same rules apply.  Fun!  
I have a game closet slap full of games we don't play.  There are some good ones in there that I wouldn't dream of giving away but we can definitely spare some of them.  I may need to consult and organization expert (Steph K--are you reading this???  How much do you charge??).  I want to get it organized and then just maintain each area.  How hard can it be?  I mean really?  For me--almost impossible but I am going to try to teach this old dog a new trick.  Any suggestions???  Especially for the good old junk drawer?

7 comments:

Randi Sue said...

That is so neat that Joe is so interested. He sounds like Mandi. When she wants to know something, she demands that you teach her or she will find a way to find out.

DebiH. said...

Sounds like a fun project:) The junk drawer solution that works for me. Get one of those drawer divider thingies, like for silverware, label each section, what doesn't fit can't stay in the drawer! If it is truly "junk" ,trash it! I use the same kind of divider in the kids' bathroom drawer for toothbrushes, floss, etc. Have fun!

Lisa said...

Boy, do I need to do this too. I'm currently maintaining a "junk counter" and a "junk dining room table". They are driving me CRAZY. I have no suggestions...I'm woefully lacking in the "neat and tidy" department, but maybe if you get started and post pictures, I'll find my motivation to clear out my junk too. :)

Emily said...

That feeling must be contagious. My project is the school room. I want to take everything out and bring back in only what we need. I don't know what I will do with the rest. The room is just way to small to have this much stuff in it and us too. I like your idea about the dresser drawer. I am going to have to ponder that one for a little bit and see how I can make it work for Junebug.

Melissa said...

I love those clear, plastic drawers that slide into a frame - 3 drawers high. 1 drawer is tape, glue, rulers and such like. The next is other odds and ends. The 3rd is short extension cords, re-chargable battery chargers, etc. You get the idea. I have 2 sets of these for bigish stuff and a small set in my bathroom cabinet for hair clips, nail clippers/scissors, etc, etc. Happy de-cluttering. I love de-cluttering.

Julie said...

YES! It is that time of year (summer camps and VBSs) I'm all ready for decluttering too! Leisa, I too have a junk counter and junk table!

atotallydifferentperson said...

My suggestion: Just toss it all except maybe a couple pairs of undies for each person, an outfit for each, and a pair of shoes. Keep the coffee pot or some way to make coffee. And just get rid of everything else! It'll make life so much easier!!!