Friday, July 18, 2008
Learning to Read and Yahtzee
After four weeks off of school Grace and I are back to working on learning how to read. I am trying to teach more to her learning style--kinesthetic (I think). Which means she needs to do more than just hear and see the words and sounds. She needs to "do" something with them. So, I bought her a little white board and some magnetic letters and she is working her way through some sight word flash cards. She reads the word, makes the word with magnetic letters, and then writes the word. So far, I would say it is working. The words that she has worked on are truly becoming sight words for her instead of words that she is sounding out. I'm also letting her "doctor" a couple of flash cards. She has such a hard time remembering the word "do." I've let her add an o to the end to remind her that the o says oo. Hopefully this will help and not mess her up in the long run. I have also let her pencil in an e under the "ai" in the word "said." Another one she struggles with. We'll see if these mnemonic devices transfer to seeing those words in books.
Hannah and I have really gotten into playing Yahtzee. I had forgotten how fun that game is. Any other Yahtzee fans out there?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
My best friend and I would play, but she is horrible to play games with. She makes you want to cry because she just HAS to win. She knows this and admits it freely, so in the interest of our friendship we stopped. We have it here somewhere,but I still haven't played it with the kids.
That is a creative way to teach though. Good for you.
I really wish you could just go back and edit comments. I did not mean to put the word "though" in my last sentence and it is really bugging me. It does not make sense. I am tempted to delete that comment!
Great ideas for helping Grace! Go Grace!!
Don't delete your comment AM--it's fine!
Love Yahtzee...love skipbo too!
We just bought Yahtzee last week. We haven't opened it up yet. I used to love it as a kid!
It is quite an adventure teaching our kids, isn't? Have fun and I hope you find what works.
Post a Comment