Friday, November 21, 2008

Souper Saturday on Friday evening

I have so many good soup recipes that I've decided to start posting one every Saturday until I run out of recipes. This week is...

Chicken Soup with Mini Meatballs

3/4 lb. ground turkey
1/4 cup cold water
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan
8 cups chicken broth
2 large carrots, chopped
1 cup orzo or pastina
1 10 oz. package fresh spinach

In a large bowl, mix the ground turkey, water, egg, bread crumbs, and cheese. Shape into 1-inch balls. In a large pot, combine the broth and carrots and bring them to a simmer. Add the orzo and let it cook for 5 minutes (2 minutes if you are using pastina), stirring frequently. Add the meatballs and simmer them in the broth for 10 minutes. Then stir in the spinach and simmer it until it's wilted, about 1 minute. Serves 6 to 8.

My family loves this and so did the Smith kids when I served them this for lunch. I usually double it because it's really good leftover. It becomes more of a stew when left to sit for a while. the orzo or pastina soaks up a lot of the liquid. I used pastina (tiny stars) today and the kids especially loved the stars. I would have posted a picture but my stove top is so dirty now I was afraid you'd be able to see that mess in the picture and think I was gross.

6 comments:

Steph C. said...

This is the best blogging idea I have heard in a long time!
Speaking from someone who ALWAYS wants a new, fresh, delish, but fairly EASY idea for dishes,
this is a WINNER in Saturday ideas!
Great idea Tif!

ann marie said...

Well, I don't mind seeing grossness because then I know I'm not the only one. And soup tends to make a mess. I also liek this idea. It is practical and useful and we love soup here, but I always stick to my chicken soup. This one looks good.

Emily said...

This sounds really good. I can't wait for the other recipes.

Cheryl said...

sounds delicious! I agree... we need pictures and the messier the better!

Grammy said...

I made a yummy, chicken, beef taco soup with rice!! Yummy, even Mandy loved it.

See you Saturday
Love you,Mom

Randi Sue said...

I'm gonna try it. Sounds good.