Wednesday, December 30, 2009
My Friend, Melanie
I met Melanie when I first moved to town in 1996. I went to a "stitch in" (all day cross stitching) at a local cross stitch store and Melanie was there. She was my first friend in town and pretty much my only friend for a few years. We spent many, many hours at those Saturday stitch ins. Melanie was so good at all things crafty. Her cross stitch was always beautiful and perfect (mine wasn't). She even won ribbons in the county fair for her work. She took up painting and excelled at that as well. Melanie was a gift giver, usually giving something she had made. I remember one year when she gave half a dozen or so of her friends 12 gifts for the 12 days of Christmas. Every gift was something handmade. I have many ornaments on my Christmas tree made by Melanie, they have always been special but now even more so. She never forgot a birthday--she was way too organized for that. One year she and her mom showed up at my house with a homemade birthday cake. And it was good! She was also a great cook. Many of my favorite recipes came from her. We each had our first two children 9 months apart. She told me she was pregnant with Emily when she visited me in the hospital after I had Hannah, my first. Then, she got pregnant with Jackson right before Grace, my second, was born. When I got pregnant with my third she insisted that Tom get a vasectomy. :0) We spent a lot of time together with our babies. We weren't cross stitching anymore. Now we were fixing snacks, changing diapers, and chasing kids. She hosted a monthly playgroup, we were on the steering team at MOPS together, and celebrated every holiday with a great themed party that she always planned. At some point during those years God gave me a burden for Melanie and I prayed for the right time to talk to her about Jesus and His unconditional love for her. Not long afterward I sent her a letter (I was out of town at the time) for her birthday that sparked a series of conversations that ultimately resulted in Melanie accepting Jesus into her heart. She joined a church and quickly put her amazing organizational and craft skills to work blessing many in her church, primarily the children's ministry. God knew the difficult path that Melanie would walk and He made sure that she knew Him and had a strong faith. That faith carried her through 6 years of fighting cancer (some of those years spent in remission). She was so strong and positive through it all. I never saw her angry at the hand she'd been dealt. She chose to live her life the best she could. She was always so brave and positive. Right up to the end. She fought the good fight and when she got to heaven I am sure she heard her Lord and Savior say, "Well done good and faithful servant." She will live on in my heart and in my memories. I pray that God will allow me to be a part of her children's lives. I want to be there to tell them about their mom and to play a part in guiding them in the path she started them on. I am truly blessed to have known her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
I remember those Christmas 12 day of Christmas gift bags! I still have the snowman picture frame refrigerator magnet on my frig. I thought about that today, as I sat and remembered, cried, smiled, and was grateful.
Tiffany, that was an amazing tribute. You were such a blessing to her, and you are now to me. Thank you for being you.
The 12 days of Christmas gifts is still one of my favorite Christmas memories ever. She was so thoughtful. I noticed the fairy refrigerator magnet that she made on my refrigerator today...yes, she did like to share her talents! I am thankful to have known her and she will be missed.
I have been praying for you, Tiffany. You were very special in her life as she was to you.
I'm so sorry! You haven't been far from my mind these last couple of days - praying for you and all those who were close to Melanie, especially her hubby and children.
Thanks for sharing. I did not realize the depth of the relationship you had with her.
This was such a great post!!!! I am praying for you..!
Wow! What a blessing and a tribute. I hope to live a life in such a way to be remembered the way she will be remembered! Blessings! Praying for you.
Thank you for giving a glimpse into her life. I am praying for her dear family. Praying for you also and all who were close to her. It is so so hard to lose someone you love.
That was beautiful. It sounds like you were blessed to have known her and she you. It's incredible that you had the courage to write that kind of letter to her. That is truly the greatest gift we can give to a loved one. Praying for her family and all those who were close to her. Thanks for sharing this.
beautiful...
Hi there! This is Melanie's niece, Krista. I just wanted to say how lovely I found your tribute to my aunt. Pastor Guthrie actually read this at her service. It was just so moving, and such a poignant reminder of what a wonderful woman Melanie was, as well as what wonderful friends she had. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. It really helped our family.
Tiffany, that is so beautiful!
Thank you so much for sharing!
Krista--thank you for your comment. I am so glad to hear that my tribute helped your family in some way. I am so sorry for your loss and I know this must be really hard.
By the way, I've met you before a long time ago--you were probably 15 or so. I doubt if you remember me but I have kept up with you for years through Melanie. I hear that you are in medical school now. Good job!
Dear Tiffany,
Thank you for the beautiful blog about my sister Melanie. The service Pastor Guthrie gave was beautiful, and the tribute to Melanie helped end the service on a joyous note. Do not worry that you were not there the last six months. She asked very little from her family, and we did not notice anything until Thanksgiving. She was in so much back pain and there was very little relief. I am thankful she is no longer in pain, and she is with the Lord. Thank you again.
Blessings,
Sharon Pinard (Melanie's sister)
Dear Tiffany,
Thank you for the beautiful blog about my sister Melanie. The service Pastor Guthrie gave was beautiful, and the tribute to Melanie helped end the service on a joyous note. Do not worry that you were not there the last six months. She asked very little from her family, and we did not notice anything until Thanksgiving. She was in so much back pain and there was very little relief. I am thankful she is no longer in pain, and she is with the Lord. Thank you again.
Blessings,
Sharon Pinard (Melanie's sister)
Post a Comment