Saturday, February 21, 2009

Be a New Mom By Friday

That should be the title of the book, "Have a New Kid by Friday."  This book came at a perfect point in my parenting journey.  As most of my readers know, I have three children and one of them is extremely strong willed.  That would be my sweet son, Joe.  If you have never parented a true strong willed child you can not fully understand how exhausting it can be.  How discouraging it can be.  How maddening it can be.  I jokingly say that just like God's mercies are new every morning--so is Joe's will.  It's like every day we must establish again that yes, I am the mom and I am the boss.  Today is not the day that you get to run the house.  Probably the last 6 months or so I have become a very lazy, angry parent.  With Joe that is.  I've been avoiding conflict for as long as I can avoid it and then when I can't take anymore I would get furious and scream and yell and rant and rave and he would cry and scream and ultimately we would make up until the next battle.  Can we say, "completely ineffective and stupid??"  So, it was at this point that I picked up the book "Have a New Kid by Friday."  Within the first day of reading it I started putting some of Dr. Leman's suggestions into action and wow--it worked.  Most of what he has to say is totally logical and truly nothing extraordinary.  But--it's practical and easy and can be put into practice immediately.  The best thing that I learned was to "Say it once.  Turn your back.  Walk away."  Until trying that I didn't realize that I would give a command and then wait for the fit.  I started doing just what Leman says and Joe didn't stop pitching a fit but I stopped reacting because I was walking away going on about my business.  I chose to stop being angry and take control of my own emotions so I could better handle Joe's.  A week later and I have not freaked out even once because of Joe's behavior.  Although his behavior hasn't changed completely there are some radical changes that I am sooo happy about.  One of them is that he is completely dressing himself.  I know, the kid is almost 6, he should have been dressing himself for years. But, he's the baby and a strong willed one at that and so I've been dressing him so that he doesn't freak out.  I quit doing that and the first day he screamed for a half hour because he couldn't find the hole to put his head in in his shirt.  He finally found it and proceeded to dress himself.  He's continued to dress himself daily and after a week the fits are over.  He just does it.  I've noticed that he is obeying more and doing it without screaming or complaining.  We still have a long way to go but I feel much more confident now that I have a direction and tools for parenting him.  The basics are this:

  • Say it once.  Turn your back.  Walk away.
  • Let reality be the teacher.
  • Learn to respond rather than react.
  • B doesn't happen until A is completed. (they don't get what they want until you get what you want)

There is a great index in the back of the book with common problems that parents have with kids and with advice about how to deal with them.  It gives great advice for every age, particularly the ages my kids are right now.  I highly recommend it!  Even if your kids are easy and never give you a minute of trouble...are there any kids like that?

12 comments:

Ingle Nook said...

Love it! Thanks for the post. I'm going to check it out at the library--HT is 15...so I want to see how badly I messed up! LOL

ann marie said...

I'm going to have to check it out.
Anthony can be difficult and yesterday I told Greg I thought he needed military school. I was sort of kidding, but not really because he almost had me in tears. I go from thinking he is the sweetest kid ever to thinking some not so nice things. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cindy said...

I am so getting this book! My son sounds an awful lot like your Joe! I need whatever help I can get!

DebiH. said...

I am a big fan of Leman's parenting style, especially the reality discipline part of it but I don't always follow through. I am anxious to see what new wisdom I can get from this book!

Lori said...

I read Dr. Leman's "Making Your Children Mind Without Losing Yours" and I loved it. I'll have to read this one too. I'm so glad about your success!

crispy said...

This is one of those books that I have been too cheap to buy. I have picked it up many times when I was waiting for something at the Publix deli. I know I would appreciate much from it. Glad it has blessed you.

Cheryl said...

wow... even with my older ones that "say it once, turn you back, walk away" one might be very helpful! Thanks!

Steph C. said...

Fantastic Tif! I am glad you found something to help! I tell all the girls that...I mean, in terms of changing THEIR OWN behavior first. It is often the culprit!
Look inward...and at the circle directly around your own two feet...and change the world!

LOVE the let reality be the teacher. AMEN to that!

Orlando Realtor said...

Kids can be difficult. Enjoy every momont however because these days will pass so quickly and you will look back and just wonder how and when these children became adults. I wrote a blog on this exact topic called savor the moment. I came across your post by accident, and enjoyed it. One of my daughters is homeschooling and the other did until several years ago.

Emily said...

I loved this book. It really helped me. I totally agree that it should be called Be a New Mom by Friday. If you can get Making Children Mind also it really fills in the gaps. Also, I highly recommend going to iTunes to the Focus on the Family podcast archives and listening to Dr. Leman on FOTF. I think the three episodes are called Game Plan for Successful Parenting. It helped me understand more the practical application of his advice.

Julie said...

I've been wanting to read this book, and now I really want to. The thing is though what do you do when your six year old doesn't want to walk and he plops himself down on the ground in the middle of Disney...how far can you really walk away?

Debbie said...

Tiff, I will be getting this book! I have not read and am already telling people about it! LOL! I must REALLY trust your opinion!! :)