Sunday, February 8, 2009

Random Thoughts on a Sunday Afternoon

It's Sunday afternoon and it has been a darn good day.  I went to church--we started an early service today and it's just awesome!  I can go to church and then work in children's ministry.  This is wonderful because before the start of this service I was working in nursery on Sunday mornings and going to church on Thursday nights.  Nights just are not good for me.  I'm usually tired and have had to rush to get out of the house after rushing to make and eat dinner.  So, I'm especially thankful for the early service.  I worked in a Pre-K class today and was so impressed with the lesson and the hands-on applications.  I may do the lesson with Joe this week.  I think it would help him with the many fears he's been having. That's a whole blog post in itself.  Pray for Ollie and I for wisdom to set his little mind at peace and to teach him to trust God.  After church we visited with my aunt and uncle for a while--always fun!  Then I came home and took a nap and dreamed that I was on a long road trip.  Boy was I glad to wake up!  I've spent the rest of the afternoon in the kitchen.  I've cut up some fruit, I'm boiling a chicken for two meals later this week, and I'm cooking tonight's dinner.  We are having flank steak, sauteed spinach, and white bean gorgonzola soup.  Not sure what the kids will think of the soup but it sounded good to me.  I used to make it all the time until Ollie got sick after eating gorgonzola (I think it was a migraine--not caused by the gorgonzola) and hasn't been able to eat gorgonzola for years.  This is the first real meal I've cooked since being home.  Ollie has been doing the cooking because I've been too worn out to even think about cooking and he likes to cook.  I'm actually looking forward to making some good meals this week.  We've got chicken cobbler casserole on the menu, and turkey burger drumsticks (new recipe), beef stroganoff, and chicken stew.  

I've started reading, "The Shack."  It's good so far.  I'm only about a quarter of the way into it.  I'll let you know what I think about it when I'm done.  I need to do a new book post.  I've found some good books lately.  My night stand is slap full and should keep me busy reading for a month or more.  Next up is "Multiple Blessings," the Jon and Kate plus 8 book.  After that is "John:  the Last Eyewitness," by Tim LaHaye.  I'm actually reading this for a book club.  I've always wanted to be in a book club.  Excited about that!  After three fun fiction books I'm diving into some parenting books--"Parenting With Love and Logic," "Boundaries With Kids," and "Have a New Kid by Friday."  I don't know if I will read all of them but I will try them out.  I am needing some direction with learning how to purposefully parent these crazy kiddos as they are growing up.  

We got a new trampoline this past weekend.  We've graduated from a swing set to a trampoline.  The kids have spent the last two days outside and playing on it.  We have taught them some general safety rules but I'm still a little anxious.  I've heard plenty of trampoline stories.  I grew up with a trampoline though and we managed to stay uninjured.  I am choosing to live freely and not in fear.  Do I sound convincing?  

I'm so excited about tomorrow.  I love Mondays and especially Mondays that come after a vacation.  A fresh start with everything.  I don't think I'll be doing much school until Wednesday though.  I go to the doctor in the morning to get the results of my blood work and then to a friend's house.  Tuesday we are going to see the play, "Junie B. Jones" and then to a Keepers at Home meeting.  Wednesday we are going to give out Valentines at the nursing home about midday and then maybe to the park.  So, we will try to do some school on Wed. morning and then back into everything on Thursday.  

Well, I need to go check on dinner.  Happy Sunday!

10 comments:

Ingle Nook said...

I've always wanted to be able to say this...of your list of books...I've read 2! Parenting with Love and Logic is great--so practical. And the Shack...I can't wait to hear your take on it. I'll probably never be able to comment like this again...as I am NOT an avid reader but today was a good day! :)

Tiffany said...

Wow! Good for you...I'm impressed!

Randi Sue said...

I have read have a new kid by friday. It was encouraging and I am trying to read the shack but can't get into it.

Cheryl said...

looking forward to hearing your take on The Shack.

ann marie said...

Me too, about The Shack. It seems that people have an either love it or hate it feeling about it.
You make the most interesting meals. I really need to be more adventurous.

ann marie said...

I meant me too as in ...your take on the shack

Julie said...

Yum, chickn cobbler casserole, I haven't made that in a long time! I can't wait to get on the trampoline!

Melissa said...

The fears things is a tough one. Despite how much we teach our children to trust God, we still know that bad things happen. At times, Mad has a lot of nightmares - the scream down the house variety. And even though we pray, they still come, at times. The best thing I've done with her is teach her to get control of her mind - basically, not to worry. When she's worried about the dreams, I remind her to set her mind on something else - reading is good, though hard for Joe at this stage. We can't stop bad things happening, but we can learn to control the worry.

crispy said...

I have read bits and pieces of "new kid by Friday" while I am waiting for my things at the deli in Publix. It looks really good. Hope you get to that one.

Lori said...

I love gorgonzola! I could just sit and eat it straight. I wonder if the fear thing is an age related thing because Doc is going through a similar phase. Isn't it heartbreaking?