So why do I always think I can be? After spending two days on the go I am worn out, grumpy, my house is a mess, my kids are filthy, and I am seriously overwhelmed. I left this morning at 9:15 and didn't get home until 4. Yesterday I was out of the house by 8:30 and didn't get home until 4. It's insanity I tell you. I have one more event tomorrow--passing out Valentines at the nursing home and then we are home. Home. Home for three days. Well, mostly. Hannah still has theatre tomorrow afternoon and Friday afternoon but that doesn't involve any prep on my part. I am reminded of something I read a couple of years ago. When I say yes to something that means I am also saying no to something else. So, when I said yes to all the plans of the last two days, I said no to being a nice, kind, patient, involved, loving, fun-to-be-around mom. Tomorrow is a new day and for the moment I am looking forward to American Idol. I just love AI. I wish it were on for two hours tonight. I can't wait to see who the top 36 are. I'm hoping that Ann Marie, Megan McCorkle, Jasmyn, the oil rigger guy, Michael Castro, Noop-Dog, the guy who's wife died, and his friend all make it through to the top 36. I'm thrilled that "bikini girl" is out of it all and I'm really hoping Tatiana goes tonight. She kind of creeps me out.
I finished reading "The Shack," last night. I will post my review tomorrow if I get enough time at home to pull it all together. My morning is shot because I need to oversee making a boatload of Valentines to take to the nursing home in the late morning. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. If I were Supermom I would have had them done and ready to go.
10 comments:
i'm feeling bad for you right now...i hope you get some down time...i'm also hoping we made enough valentines now...
enjoy AI
no supermom here either :(
we might not even make it tomorrow.
If it makes you feel better, we haven't made Valentines yet either. And I didn't watch AI. My mom was here and we were chatting.
There's no Supermom living in my house, either. I hope you have a very peaceful three days.
Valentine's Day is just around the corner... yikes!
Danny Goeke (I'm not sure if I spelled it right) is my absolute favorite...he's is the guy whose wife died and I'm predicting he will be in the top three!!
I know this is probably totally the opposite of what some might choose but I had to make a rule for myself when it came to field trips and such:
If it fits in with where we are in our curriculum, could enhance our current unit of study, or is a seasonal activity, we do it and often plan ahead for it.
If it is just totally random, and might only come around once in a lifetime, it has to be of extra special interest to at least one of my kids or something I know will be coming up soon in our studies.
Otherwise we most often pass up things like plays, renaissance faire, trips to zoos, science centers, plantations, museums, etc.
These things are all fine and great, and when they fit into our studies we will do them. Examples- a Hellen Keller play could be helpful when we are studying (or have recently) her life or the senses, a trip to the zoo if we have just done a unit on animals, the renaissance faire when we are studying that period, etc. etc.
Otherwise they fall into weekend, vacation or leisure time activities- not important enough to skip school for.
Our school is already interrupted enough with regular extracurricular activities and dr/dentist appointments that arise. I had to draw the line somewhere.
Sorry for the book but I just wanted to share that and hopefully it could be a good guideline for anyone struggling with when to say no to activities.
There is no such thing as a supermom! She doesn't exists.
I have learned to say, "no". My Knight has got my back on that too. ;o) It's what's helped me... us, as a family.
LOL! I was going to share something along the lines of what Smith Schoolhouse shared. I wasn't sure if others would consider me stepping over the line. But I just read the other comments. I agree with Smith Schoolhouse.
Post a Comment