Sunday, August 9, 2009

Big Plans

As we are approaching the start of a new school year, my mind starts going haywire with ideas and plans.  Big ideas and big plans.  Overly ambitious thoughts.  I know myself pretty well and know that only about half of this will actually be accomplished this school year but it's fun to dream right?  Here's my big ideas for this school year.

With all three--

  • Morning devotions including "Hymns for a Kid's Heart" and the 
    "Day by Day" Bible and adding character education using William Bennett's "Book of Virtues."  
  • Actually make some entries in our nature journals.  Have Joe start a nature journal.
  • Do some watercolor journaling.  See Kirsten's post here.  
  • Start and then stick to regular chores for everyone.
  • Home Economics Tuesdays--actually learn some cooking this year.  A goal that I've had for years is to teach each kid to make a simple breakfast, lunch, and dinner all on their own (well mostly).
  • Susan Wise Bauer's Writing With Ease
  • Use all the Usborne Art books I have to have regular art lessons.  
  • Study 2 artists.

With the girls--

  • Brightlights study about being a wonderful, godly girl.
  • Work on some "Keepers at Home" badges
  • Finish the quilt they started last year.

With Hannah--

  • Finish My Father's World Exploring Countries and Cultures
  • My Father's World Creation to Greeks
  • First Language Lessons Volume 4
  • Critical Thinking's Language Mechanic
  • Horizons 5
  • Wordly Wise
  • Regular spelling lists and tests
  • Typing
  • Study of Greek and/or Latin roots
  • Supplement Science with 4 Evan Moor unit studies
  • Home Economics for Homeschoolers Volume 2

With Grace--

  • Explode the Code 4 1/2
  • Critical Thinking's "Language Smarts"
  • First Language Lessons Volume 3 (starting after Christmas)
  • Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading
  • Spelling lists and tests
  • Horizons 2
  • Home Economics for Homeschoolers Volume 1

With Joe--

  • Scholastic's 100 Words Kids Need to Read by 1st grade
  • Explode the Code 2
  • First Language Lessons (if I can stand to go through that book a third time!!!)
  • Horizons K Book 2 and Horizons 1 Book 1

With Grace and Joe--

  • all of the science kits on my shelf
  • a lapbook on birds
  • a lapbook on reptiles
  • Evan Moor's "Life in Plymouth Colony"
  • Read through my whole book case of non fiction picture books and delve deeper into any topic that catches their interest.
  • a lapbook on kangaroos
  • Evan Moor's study of Animals

In addition to all of this schooling and life skills--

  • Hannah will do theatre
  • I want to put Grace and Joe in some sort of sport--either baseball (softball for Grace) or soccer.
  • I will be tutoring

Not to mention maintaining our house, laundry, meal planning and preparing...

I will revisit this post mid school year and see how I'm doing.  :0)


6 comments:

Cindy said...

wow-those are big plans! But it does all look interesting! can't wait to see how much you accomplish-you might surprise yourself!

crispy said...

I love your ambition. It always inspires me.

I picked up a good book on Mary Cassatt and those little picture books that we can use as our lapbook pictures at the convention last week. Thanks for the suggestion.

Julie said...

Can't wait to have you back home!

Cristy said...

Love, love, love Wordly Wise. There are your regular spelling lists and tests. You even get a review every four chapters. And at the end of every lesson-Greek and Latin roots and words that are easily confused all rolled up into one. If Hannah wasn't doing Progeny Press study guides this year, she would be doing Wordly Wise again.

I, too, have many ambitions this year. Maybe we can try to keep each other on track. Good luck keeping me on track for anything. Once again, you have inspired me.

Ingle Nook said...

Hey! I put the wordly wise in the mail. Just FYI! Did you leave the Mary Higgins Clark disks before? Just makeing sure they have been returned. :)

Shawnie said...

Wow Tiffany!!! Great School plans! I just finished reading all your blogs...what a great summer you had, and all the trips, the kiddos will always remember the fun! My hat is off to you with the camping...I could thing of nothing worse...hahaha...I'm just not a camper