Sunday, August 30, 2009

Take a Chance Challenge #10--Movie/Book Comparison


10. Movie/Book Comparison. Find a book that you haven't read that has a movie based on it that you haven't seen. Read the book and watch the movie within a few days of each other. Write about your reactions to both the book and the movie and compare the two.

I recently read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" for book club and found out that there was a movie based on the book that was produced in the 1940s. So, I checked it out from the library and watched it. As usual, I like the book considerably more than the movie but I usually still like the movie. I have to say that I don't like this movie at all. The book really should have never been made into a movie. So much of the book is just Francie's thoughts and feelings and memories of her life. That is impossible to portray in a movie. Also, in the book Francie feels a distance from her mother but is never rude or disrespectful but they show her being downright insolent towards her mother in the movie. They took what is a very minor theme in the book and turn it into a major theme in the movie. They didn't include so many of the colorful characters that are described in the book and changed the story quite a bit. I disliked this movie so much that I consider to have been a waste of my time to watch it. Read the book, don't see the movie!!

2 comments:

Kris said...

I have always loved that movie but I have never read the book. So... maybe my opinion would be different if I had read the book.

Jenners said...

It is a shame when they take a book and twist it around when they make a movie from it -- perhaps stopping a potential reader from checking out the book.