Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pictures from Alabama

We arrived home safely this evening from our short trip to Alabama. We were there to see my great Aunt Clara. We managed to stay pretty busy and I took a lot of pictures. We celebrated Christmas a little early since we won't see Aunt Clara again before Christmas. Hannah got a neat book of Kid's Musical songs with a CD and a little info about each show that the songs are from. Grace got my dream shirt--an awesome long sleeve tie dye! Joe got a Mr. Tickle shirt that he has worn every day. He was pretty tickled (no pun intended).

We took the picture above on the porch of a great little restaurant that we went to for lunch. And below, Joe is sitting in a swing on another porch of a restored log cabin that we toured.

Later that afternoon we visited a local park that had some great scarecrow displays. I love the one above by a dentist's office. Joe is playing with the Tooth Fairy, Hannah is resting on a giant tube of toothpaste, and Grace is flossing. The kids had a ball posing with the different scenes. And, so did Harriet and Billy as you can see below. :0)







In the above pic you have to read the sign to get the humor here. Same with the one below.


Tuesday night I dragged the kids away from the tv to do a little craft project--painting suncatchers and then Grace taught Aunt Harriet some tricks on the DSi while I read to Joe.


Wednesday we picked up a cousin (second, third, twice removed, who knows so I just say cousin...) and went to a pioneer village. He was full of stories and really made a lot of what we saw come alive for us all. He had some great stories!


The above picture cracked me up. Grace and Joe climbed up on this buggy and I told them to pretend to drive--meaning pretend to hold the reins of horses but Joe started steering like he was driving a car. Below, is a mobile prison that was taken to various locations to use the prisoners as laborers.


I couldn't resist breaking the rules (below) to take the above picture. John was showing us how an old fashioned phone worked and I had Grace pretend to talk on my cell phone. The sign below really bothered Joe for a few reasons. Mainly because of course he wanted to touch everything but he also felt like it was unnecessarily harsh by saying ABSOLUTELY no touching.
As we were getting ready to go he found this little sign--it says, "Why We Ask You Not To Touch..." and goes on to answer that question. Joe said, "Finally! I get my question answered." Love that kid.

That's all the pictures I took. We enjoyed our last evening in Alabama. We had dinner at this chinese buffet that is just delicious (we actually at there two nights in a row) and then came home and the kids watched Toy Story 3 and the adults visited with some more "cousins." We had a good little trip but I think I speak for us all when I say that I'm glad to be home!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Great pics! I hope Joe liked Toy Story 3 because the boys are going to be watching it tomorrow night.

Cindy said...

You guys do the greatest things! Love Grace's shirt-Tucker would also love it.