Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Posting Because I Said I Would
I really don't have anything to say but that's never stopped me before...actually I was going to do a big picture post, I have lots to share from our short trip to Alabama but I'm too tired to deal with that right now. It's been a long day but a good day. We went to a nearby pioneer museum and learned a lot from a relative of ours who has lived here his whole life. He told us stories about life on the farm before tv, telephones, and indoor bathrooms. I can definitely count today as a school day. The other day we stopped at a restaurant that was next to a christian book store and after we ate I popped in the bookstore. I have been feeling less than confident about parenting the girls through this next stage as they head into adolescence and the tween and teen years so I wanted to see if I could find a good book full of wisdom. Well, I found a book by someone I had heard of (Nancy Rue) and bought it. I started reading it last night and I've only gotten about 10 pages into it and already I am feeling blessed. She is describing all sorts of issues to expect from your 9 to 12 year old girl that we just haven't had to deal with yet. My girls are far from perfect, I'm not saying that. We have our share of issues but I was relieved to hear (read) that it could be way worse. I think I got a little of the confidence and reassurance that I needed. Well, see, I did find something to talk about. Peace out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so glad you are posting everyday. No one ever blogs anymore and I really don't like it. The fact that you are so concerned about your kids that you would go out and read a book about this particular time in their lives is the exact reason you will all end up making it through these years just fine. My philosophy is this.. as long as my kids know I am interested in them, really interested, everything will be okay. A little praying goes a long way, too. Oh, and I do have to say, these years are not as bad as a lot of people say. They are actually kind of fun a lot of the time. I'm not saying I don't have my days, but for the most part, it's a good time. I bet Julie would say the same. And you better keep posting everyday. Oh, and I miss walking with you, so you better not blow me off when you get back.
I was happy to see my name in Ann Marie's comment. I consider myself to be pretty self confident and not terribly needy, but I really like when people mention me in their blogs or comments (and of course when they comment on mine!)
That being said, your girls are great! That is good that the book made you realize how much worse things could be. As you and I have talked about so much before, comparing our kids to others in our ideallic little bubble that is our homeschool community can be rough and sometimes we have to look to books (or theatre) to see what is "typical" for kids our kids' ages.
Post a Comment