At one point we had the traditional Paas egg decorating going on and the Pysanky at the same time. Amazingly, we only had one big dye spill and it was the Paas, not the hard core Pysanky dye.
Here's Hannah working on her egg. If you are unfamiliar with how you make Pysanky eggs, as I was just a week ago--here's the basic idea. You use a little tool that you heat over a candle and then fill with melted wax to "write" on the egg. You start with a white egg, use wax to draw a design that will in the end be white. Then you dye it in yellow, let it dry and then put more wax on where you want it to stay yellow, dye it green (or some other darker color), more wax, next color, and on and on. Then you heat the egg and wipe off the melted wax to reveal the design. We got better and better with each egg and although our eggs don't look like the traditional Ukranian eggs, we had fun and love how they turned out.
When they were done we shellaced them, the shellac we had was a little dark and made the eggs a little darker but still pretty.
And, earlier in the week, we made this lapbbook about the Resurrection eggs story. It was super easy and a good refresher of the Easter story.
8 comments:
Excellent! They are beautiful!
What beautiful eggs...who did the one with the orange flower in the second pic on the left?Unbelievably beautiful! I know it wasn't you...you are a messy crafter, but crafter nonetheless! Miss you guys. Happy Easter!
I think one time you said you were not the "fun" mom - In my book, anyone who will undertake something like this with their kids has got to be a fun mom. Me, well, we'll get the ol' Paas out and a few crayons, and we'll be good to go. I was going to try the silk dye trick, but, alas, I never got any from the store, and all the eggs are cooked.
This mom will be fun if she doesn't end up yelling at anyone during the dyeing process. :)
Where did you get the tool for this process? The eggs look great! We started a resurrection egg lapbook after seeing your idea the other day. However, as most things seem to go around here, it is unfinished. We'll probably finish it next week. I hope to post pictures when we are done.
The one with the orange flower was done by Ollie's mom. Mine were the Mary Englebreit style one with the blue flowers and red dots, the blue one with the tulips, the one with the stars and moon, and the ugliest one with white stripes and yellow diamond things. Hannah made the black one with all the different symbols. Each symbol has a meaning, she used a little booklet to get the symbols. Grace did one with a greenish background and one with an orange background. Ollie's mom did the quilt looking one, the blue one with swirls and hearts, and the cool orange one.
Sarah--the main reason I could do this with my kids is because Grandma was here to help keep me sane. I don't know that I would have even considered it otherwise. I didn't yell (quite proud of myself) but there were some tense moments. I can never do anything fun without getting stressed. It's just how it is with three kids as you well know.
Emily--the tool came from a kit that a friend loaned me. I would really consider buying the kit because it was so easy and fun. I think I could get better and better with some practice. We may do more this week because Hannah has some ideas she wants to try but after cracking one she had worked hard on wanted a break. It really is a lot of fun!
Beautiful! We did the same lapbook-but yours turned out more colorful! My boys gave up on the coloring mid-way through!
Beautiful eggs!!!
so pretty! I can't wait to try this one day. also the lapbook looks really cool too. maybe next year!
Post a Comment