Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Full to Overflowing

That could describe many things but today it describes my brain.  I have way too much going on between my ears.  These are the things competing for space in my brain--let's go for bullets again--

  • My health--more specifically, my diet.  I start the Maker's Diet on Friday.  It is a 40 day thing but I'm viewing it more like a 6 month to lifetime thing.  T'he first two weeks are pretty intense and then you add back a few things and then more things.  In the end, you are eating lots of fruits and vegetables, beans, meat, fish, and whole grains.  Not too hard but like I said, the first two weeks are intense.  I am also planning to start growing my own sprouts to supplement my diet, looking into where I can buy raw milk again, and trying to eat mostly grass fed beef and organic (?)chicken, and eliminating high fructose corn syrup from our house.  Anyway, I'm reading three different books on arthritis and healthy eating in general.  That's enough to make my head spin.
  • School--it is always hard to get back into things after a week off.  We had a very late start today but still managed to finish what I wanted to do.  In order to fully finish Africa the way I want to this week I need to make an African meal, finish Hannah's lapbook, and have her do a pretty involved craft.  She will be making a basket out of glue and fabric scraps.  I tackled the owl craft that had been intimidating me today with Grace and Joe.  We also read books about koalas and tomorrow or Friday we wrap up our study of Night Creatures.  So, now I'm trying to decide what to do with them next.  I'm thinking we are going to do a study of invertebrates.  That means I need to get some time to go make copies as well as hit the library website and place lots of holds.  
  • Mornings--I have got to revamp our mornings so that they are more peaceful and we can get an earlier start.  The only problem here is me.  I am very undisciplined and it's time to demand obedience from myself (heard that in church on Sunday and it has stuck with me).  I'm thinking that I need to stay far, far away from the computer in the mornings, get the kids up earlier,  and have breakfast earlier. That would help.  I try to start by 9 but even earlier would be better.
  • And then there's the mile long "to do" list--I won't even go into that but trust me, it's long.

I'm thinking a nap is in order to just turn off all the noise for a little while.  Then a list and maybe a 28 hour day.

5 comments:

Leisa said...

Love the bullet format. I think all my posts will be that way since I have only time to jot down highlights.

As for the new diet, Michelle M caould be a good resource. She was into Nourishing Traditions and had alot of good info. Back when Ethan was a newborn I bought our milk from Michelle and Kirsten's friend and she had alot of good info on sprouting, raw milk, and NT.

I know it can be overwhelming, but everything I have ever read rings with truth. It is amazing how far off we have become in the typical american diet. I type this as I have 14 boxes of pop tarts to put away ;)

knowing what you should do, and doing it are two very seperate things ;)

Sarah said...

Yes to point one, two, and three! Changing diets is a lifestyle change and one that will benefit you, your family, and their decisions in the future! I applaud you for making the change and it sounds like all of the ones you are making are spectacular. It is hard, though, to make sweeping changes - so much planning and effort. I am trusting it is going to get better (telling myself that as well...)

School - same for us - I need more planning time and I need to start earlier. I am the problem a good amount of the time and this machine I'm staring at is a big contributor. Funny how I can always find time for this thing, but now always my bible. (Actually, that's NOT so funny...)

We're heading down the same road, my friend!

Julie said...

My head is full to overflowing to and was considering a blog post about it, but I'm too cranky to be inspired.

Cheryl said...

I'm going through an abbreviated period for my blogging and etsy because there's only so much time... I can't even imagine reading up on these things about diet and arthritis and such, so I MAKE time to come see you because you do it for me!! ;)

Cristy said...

OK, this is going to be a little awkward since I sell it, but have you thought about a product like Juice Plus? It is not a supplement in the sense of your average vitamin that you buy where ever. It is whole foods in a pill. It is vegetables, fruits, and whole grain. It is amazing. It is wonderful for your mind and body. Now I sound like my own commercial. It is one way to make sure that you get all your vegetables and fruits. I think it will help your transition as well. Just a thought.