Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pretty random with pictures!

We spent our whole school morning on Friday talking about and reading about the Passover, Palm Sunday, and Easter. We went through the Resurrection eggs retelling the story as we opened each egg and then made these pictures that Peters Peapod had given me the idea for. I was so pleased and blessed with how each of them turned out (even mine, I am so not artistic!) that I went out later and had them scanned and made into 4x6 size to make cards out of. I'll be sending Easter cards to our family this year, just need to get them put together... Mine is top left, then Grace's with all the stickers, Hannah's below on pink and Joe's on blue.
How many months ago did I take down the Christmas decorations? These were still up until the other day. I just hadn't gotten around to finishing that job. Nothing like having company coming in to motivate you to take care of all of those things that have been left undone for months!
Here's a picture of Rosie with her nightly bowl of greens and other veggies.
I love this picture of Grace, I can't say why. Maybe because she is in mid-sentence which is how I see her most often?
We had a sweet overnight guest last Saturday night and Hannah played hairdresser and flat-ironed her hair.
Here is an example of some of the "weird food" that I cook. Hannah was telling someone the other day about the different types of food influences she has in her life. Her Grammy cooks Southern and her Grandma cooks Italian and her mom cooks "weird." In spite of my tendency to cook weird--Hannah loves my cooking best. Sorry Grandmas! She loves weird food, a girl after my own heart. The plate below was from last Saturday night when we had our guest over. I felt so guilty giving her a plate of weird food. If I had thought ahead I could have made something normal like spaghetti. But, instead she got perch, creamy brussel sprouts, and whole wheat pasta with butter and parmesan. I left the avocado-mango salsa off of the kids' fish. Amazingly enough, they all enjoyed this meal. The brussel sprouts were cooked in cream and bacon. Anything cooked in cream and bacon is going to be good.
Keeping with my reputation for weird food...tonight is the night for Mamba Lasagna. It better be good! This was one of those meals that takes a lot of preparation. I've got it ready to go in the oven now though, just a big mess to clean up. In case you are wondering--Mamba lasagna is black beans and rice layered with fried plantains and shredded pork. This should definitely be interesting. I'm feeding it to the family and Ollie's parents in a little while. We'll see how that goes!

4 comments:

crispy said...

The posters look great. Thanks for sharing them. As for the weird food, um...it does look a little odd, but I am glad that your kids find comfort in your style of cooking. That is not weird. =)

Deana said...

I love the pictures. We are going to start our Easter Lapbook tomorrow. It is our 1st so it should be intesting. Just wanted you to know you are not alone with the Christmas decor. I finally took down the last Christmas decoration down today..they were up too high and I have been too lazy :) As for you food, I would love to know where you come up with the inspirations for your meals.

Sarah said...

Okay, how in the world did I miss your post on April 2nd? I watch like a hawk -

Oh, well. I need to reread Pride and Prejudice. I haven't read it since high school, and it would be a good idea to pull it out and do it again. Maybe I can join your book club virtually??

I like your Easter ideas and I hope to get my week planned out as to what projects we are going to do when...It always seems to be Saturday night before I realize that I havne't done anything all week...So, I need to get ON it!

BTW, I think your meal looks YUMMY! :)

Smith Schoolhouse said...

have your kids send cards to my kids! I want to see how they turned out (you could send me yours) and I know they/we would love to get some mail!