Thursday, August 28, 2008

Already Blowing the Schedule

It's 8 am and my children are still in bed.  I am not dressed nor have I done anything that I need to do in the morning (primarily, my feet exercies).  BUT--I have been up for over an hour and already had some prayer and Bible time.  I just can't bear to wake up sleeping children and of course I'm enjoying my time on the computer uninterrupted.  We have all day--no plans--so there's really no rush.  Hannah's the only one who ever notices what time it is anyway so they won't know we aren't starting at 8:30 am.  Actually, the "schedule" hasn't really dictated what we do as much as the white board.  I am writing everything that needs to be done on that and they start soon after they get up.  Joe has been very motivated to finish everything on his list because he can't get on the computer until he's done.  Yesterday he had done all his school by 8:15.  He wanted to start the minute he woke up.  He did better yesterday but still I am having to keep it really short.  Okay, now everyone is up and they are sitting in front of PBS kids eating their breakfast and I've been interrupted so many times I can't even remember what I was going to say.  I knew it wouldn't last...
I'm happy to have a whole day at home today.  We've had a busy but fun week with somewhere to go every day.  Yesterday we were back at the skating rink for homeschool skate.  My kids absolutely love going skating and we haven't been all summer.  So, they were pretty happy and pretty tired by last night.
I've lost my train of thought, it seems to have left the station.  I'll try again later... 

6 comments:

ann marie said...

That is funny, because our schedule got blown a little too. I decided not to do what I usually do, which is to panic. I think I can get back on track, I think I can, I think I can. UGH! I have a whole year of this?!

Emily said...

I don't like to wake sleeping children either. Unfortunately, my child (Spike) has no problem waking a sleeping mommy. With our new schedule it doesn't matter what time we get up, though earlier is better. When we have schooled for three hours, or completed our list, my work is done(not really, because a mother's work is never done).

Smith Schoolhouse said...

I've always liked the idea of a "checklist" rather than a time dictated schedule. I usually will set goals of "start school by 10am" or be done with MFW K, all math & language by lunch. I have a list of things including chores, hygiene, etc. that has to be done by school time. My list must be long since we can't usually get started on school before 10. Maybe it's because I am on the computer and shouldn't be!

Have a great day at home! I'll be home all day too until church tonight.

Kris said...

That's how life is around here. We have a list/order that things go in but NO TIMES. My daughter is a 4 year old police officer... if I had times on there she'd make me a crazy person.

Melissa said...

I cannot bear to wake sleeping children either. I do open their doors wide, put on music and kind of bang around the place - letting them wake slowly.

Lori said...

I would throw my children a parade if they would sleep until 8:)