Friday, August 15, 2008

Feeling Rebellious

As the new school year approaches it seems that everyone is thinking towards getting their home organized, scheduling, etc.  I'm right there as well.  But--this morning I am feeling rebellious.  I'm feeling like not getting organized, not coming up with a schedule, just continuing to fly by the seat of my pants on a daily basis.  After all, it's worked for me all these years.  Why do I feel the need to organize myself?  Probably because I really do need to--I could list lots of problems that have resulted from my lack of organization.  BUT--Sometimes I just want to stop trying so hard to improve myself and to change things.  I just want to coast in freedom.  I want to stop reading "self-help" books about parenting, marriage, homeschooling, being a christian woman.  I feel like I am never getting to a resting point but instead I'm always trying to work on something.  I'm always discouraged with myself about something.  I know that God wants us to grow and mature but I honestly don't think He intends it to be so much work.  He is the one who said, "He who began a good work in you will continue."  I just need to "Seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added..."  If I am spending time with God and working on that relationship all other relationships should fall into place and I should be experiencing the "fruit of the Spirit" (love, JOY, PEACE, patience, etc.--the very things I'm striving for).  I will gain wisdom for ordering my days, my priorities will fall into their correct place.  
I don't know if these thoughts make sense here all typed out...

15 comments:

Melissa said...

makes perfect sense

Grammy said...

Makes perfect sense and I am right there with you!! Except for the reading all the books... Not so much.

Kris said...

AMEN!

I personally feel like if we spent more time on what the Word of God is saying, and less time on what christian authors are trying to tell us, our lives would be a lot more enjoyable. I think we as women get on this cycle of feeling like something needs to improve and instead of doing that, we read a book about it, which makes us feel more discouraged. So we read a book about that and it points out some other areas where we aren't measuring up and and and.... it is an endless cycle.

I wonder how much money publishing companies would lose if we stopped seeking out all these books, ideas, advice, etc and just followed the word and did the things we knew needed to be done...not the things all of those books are telling us *should* be done.

I'm ranting. You poor thing... I'm ranting on your blog. I'll stop now. :-)

Emily said...

I know that I just recommended a couple of parenting books on my blog, but I agree with you. I normally don't read those types of books. For one thing, unless you read only one author, you will end up with 10 different opinions on how you should deal with an issue. I say go to the one book that has all the answers. Do what you need to have peace and to be content.

DebiH. said...

There is a time for everything. Maybe you are just in a season of rest! I think that is totally OK! Rest in God's word and don't worry about the little things for a while. Sometimes I feel like seeking the advice of others, sometimes it just overwhems me...depends on the situation. Don't worry so much about what others are doing, everyone is at a different place in their lives. Relax!!!!! Just my humble opinion :)

Lori said...

Ditto, ditto and ditto:)

Lisa said...

You stated perfectly (and so did Kris) a lesson that took me a long time to learn. Every word makes perfect sense to me and I stand and say "preach it on, sister!" :)

ann marie said...

Yes, it makes sense. Simplify. That's been my motto for a couple of years now, when certain things happened in my life that I had no control over. But now that things have gotten back to normal I still like to keep it simple. I don't really know if that's what you meant, but the more we add into ou lives, and the more advice we get, it just gets too overwhelming. I like what deb said.

Steph C. said...

Well your words ring true but your title doesn't match! Lol
Are you being rebellious and fighting what God is telling you or are you taking things on in your own strength and needing to stop reaching for the better way?
I have heard you speak of the book thing many times and since you are an AVID reader, it only stands to reason that you are going to be exposed to a LOT. But I don't think I have ever heard you talking of the latest "self help" book you are reading, only fiction! So...I am always confused when you say the latest self help book. (you mean that you've NOT read?) I know, I know, I am being difficult. My point is to take the word's advice, take what is good and let the chaff blow away...

Randi Sue said...

I know the feeling. I go for very long stretches at a time of not reading any self help books.

And my schedule is very loose

as in what I do in the am and what I do in the pm.

Tiffany said...

Steph--by feeling rebellious I meant rebelling against the pressure to get organized, start a schedule, etc. Of course the pressure to do these things comes from me alone so I have the power to take the pressure away. Anyway--I actually don't read many self help books anymore but that's just because I've already read them all. Just kidding. I have read my share of books about parenting, marriage, and homeschooling though. I am not always reading the latest mainstream books but I've read enough over the years to know just how much I'm not doing. Hope that explains it!

Steph C. said...

I know that is what you meant, that is what I was talking about...is GOD telling you to get organized or are You just putting that pressusre on yourself...we do that you know. Lol Who me? Pressure? Pressure? What pressure?
In all the years I have known you (can you believe I can say that now??? THree years this Christams! How about that!) I have never once seen you read a self help book. Lol You know, maybe when you come across a really great inspirational book instead of self help... anyway...
You get no hassles from me. My house is a mess, my kids are eating pizza for the third time this week and I don't know where a bra is for church tomorrow. Now, if that isn't disorganized, what is???? Welcome to my world. Scone-time is long go...

Steph C. said...

long gone, that is.

Cheryl said...

yes and yes... I'm having a time watching all my friends here get in great shape... loosing weight, training and running... looking great... and I'm really feeling left-behind and frumpy. I'm happy for them and even wishing I could join everyone at the gym...but time and expense... it's just not there for me right now. I would love to be fit again and looking great but the amount of time, expense, and effort right now... well... I just am not getting the go-ahead to drop the things I'm doing and do this instead. I'm trying to watch what I eat and I'm SLOWLY loosing weight but it's SO slow it gets discouraging when everyone seems to be transforming themselves in just a couple months! I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining... I just get what you're saying!

Steph C. said...

I feel ya Chewhi. I wish I actually CARED enough to be more committed...those words keep echoing in my mind, are you interested? or are you committed?
Uh, can I ask the audience please?

Re: the books. You know I think that I do not consider books like "The Excellent Wife, Sheparding a Child's Heart of The Power of a Praying Wife, or even the highly talked about, Created to be his Helpmeet SELF HELP books. Self Help books to me are like Tony Robbin's books or the 7 habits series, etc. etc. Maybe that is where the difference lies? I actually consider the former recreational reading. I actually cannot read a lot of fiction anymore. There are too many great inspirational books out there to be had. Guess I should have blogged this comment, sorry Tif. Maybe we can all start a sub blog on each other's comments sections.