Friday, August 22, 2008

Olympic Lapbooks

We completed our Olympic lapbooks the other day. I got this off of Homeschool share and it was a great lapbook. I got it all printed and then we did all the cutting, folding, and most of the filling in on our trip. My niece, Ellie, made one as well. I put all the mini books into the folders and the kids finished up the details. One of the things that was really fun is that each kid chose a country to root for and watch during the Olympics. There are two mini books to go with that--one where you put in a map of the country and the country's flag and another where you record the medals that country won. Hannah chose China (because they had the most athletes and she wanted her country to have the most--little overacheiver!), Grace chose France, and Joe chose Italy. We didn't really get to see their countries compete much but I found the medal stats on line. The lapbook also focused on the history of the Olympics, the route of the Olympic torch, some of the sports, an athlete's diet vs. the average person's diet, a Bible verse about running the race set before you, and so on. I'm glad we did it. Joe really didn't do much beyond color his but he has one anway.

6 comments:

ann marie said...

I like this lapbook thing. You have mentioned it so much and it looks like fun and something tangible for the kids to have to go back and look at. Do you think jane would be too old for this, at 12? Also, is there a site you go on to learn or get your ideas aboutthe lapbook?
I read your previous post and was so happy to hear about your feet. I hope things continue on like that.

Cheryl said...

I love the lapbooks too. Again... my guys are too old... I remember when people would see my kids with a toy and would make those comments "too bad that wasn't around when mine were young." I don't do that with toys but I sure do with homeschool stuff!!

Steph C. said...

This is very very cool! You are still Homeschool Cool!

Smith Schoolhouse said...

what a great idea! I thought about doing something educational with the Olympics, but instead we just watched it all day everyday!

Smith Schoolhouse said...

I just read this...the first time I just browsed the pix.

It is so cool to se Joe working so hard on the lapbooks.

Smith Schoolhouse said...

one more thing... how coo that the olympics were the year you did ECC!