It's August--the start of a new school year. I feel totally unprepared. And a little scared. Joe starts Kindergarten this year. Need I say more. I'm not actually scared of homeschooling Joe, he is really smart and loves to learn so even though he is super stubborn I think he will like school in small doses. What I'm scared of is homeschooling three kids. When I look at my shelf of new curriculum I can't help but wonder how in the world this is going to happen. I feel this way every year though and we always manage to get it done. It only takes a couple of days to get back in the groove but from this side--the beginning--it seems impossible and I'm scared to start. I was going to start next week but there is no way I will be ready. I didn't anticipate how busy this week would be and I've had no time to really prepare so I think I will push it back a week. I am going to do some planning and make a loose schedule. I try this every August and usually fail but I'm more serious than ever. I am going to try to keep it simple and doable. I am also going to set goals for each kid to help me prioritize. For Grace and Joe the main goal will be reading, for Hannah the main goal will be writing. Scheduling, planning, and organizing are on my agenda for next week--anybody want to keep my kids all week so I can actually accomplish this? :0)
I still have lots of pictures to post, I was going to post a bunch this morning but my computer crashed twice and I have been paranoid that I will lose all my photos so I've spent the morning uploading every picture from the last two months to Snapfish in case my computer dies on me. I can't upload pics to the blog and snapfish at the same time so you just get to read my rambling thoughts. Fun, huh? I have spent over an hour reading and commenting on everybody's blogs so you all owe me. You have to at least read this drivel and if you are so inclined you can comment.
I stayed up way too late watching women's gymnastics last night. I felt so bad for Alicia--I wanted her to nail her floor routine to make up for falling off the beam but it just didn't happen. She fell on her butt on the floor routine. The commentators were talking about how nerves get to the older girls much more than to the younger girls and he mentioned China's gymnasts and referred to them as 14-15 year olds. He thinks that China is blatantly lying about their ages. I have to admit they do look awfully young but in my naivety I like to think that everybody always plays by the rules. His comment made me question it though. Anyway, the USA team got the silver medal and I hope they were happy. When I finally turned it off they seemed all depressed, don't they realize that they still just won an OLYMPIC MEDAL??? You can tell I'm not a competitor or a passionate sports person. Heck, I'd be thrilled if I was good enough to even go to the Olympic games. Enough rambling. I'll try to get some pictures up, my snapfish load is done.
7 comments:
I fell asleep after the USA bars. I really wanted to watch more. I also wanted to be totally organized to start school next week too, but I'm not any where near ready either. I think we're going to start anyway. I had all of these grand plans for organization at the beginning of the summer, but they didn't pan out.
Even though I don't have 3 to homeschool this year, I am also scared about starting this year. I feel very unprepared. I had planned on starting this week, but realized that I was too far from being ready. I am going to do school with Spike this year. He isn't content to play while we do school, so I'm going to include him as much as possible. I haven't accomplished much toward getting ready this week either we'll see what happens.
I'm not too into the Olympics this time for some reason. I do believe that those Chinese gymnasts are much younger than 16. Some don't look much older than 10 if you ask me. The Chinese government isn't known for being upfront and honest.
I am no where near ready to start. I haven't gotten half of their curriculum together. I am the sort who starts on one thing and decides it's not working and then go and do something totally different. They are going to just be doing a lot of readign and writing for now. And cooking. That makes me feel like they are getting some math in there. I am very lame!
computer problems... yuck!
Homeschool starts always seem to be so sketchy but it sounds like you have a good plan!
Yeah! pictures!
Since I'm just barely starting on the whole homeschooling thing, I've got absolutely no advice. I'm sure you'll do great though. I bet there's a "learning curve" with doing three at a time...I know you'll get there!
I felt so sorry for that poor girl too! I DVR'ed it and watched it this morning. I'm with you...how sad that they looked unhappy with a silver medal. What a contrast with our men's team who were thrilled with their bronze. I guess it's all in the expectations...the girls were supposed to win. That's just too much pressure for girls that age.
Hey...I'm rambling too... :)
I wake up with Olympic hangover everyday. I also had plans of starting next week. I will have to see how this weekend goes. And how many loose ends I can tie up as far as planning goes. My guys are a little bored so I really want to start asap! It will be great to get back on a routine.
Right now, I feel like I can't even get the basics done, as in cleaning and cooking. How can I ever add school to the mix. I need to take flylady's advice and take baby steps and set my timer for 15 minutes. I can do any thing for 15 minutes. The timer really helped me last year with school.
Post a Comment