Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fried Pickles!

This past weekend I was talking to some friends about fried pickles and I've had a hankering for them ever since.  Well, tonight I did it.  I fried up a mess of pickles and they were sooooo good!  I even made hamburgers to go with them.  Believe it or not, as much as I enjoy cooking, I have never made hamburgers at home before.  They turned out great and the kids loved them.  I piled my burger high with fried pickles and it was just perfect.  Not the healthiest dinner but delicious.  Here's the recipe I used if you want to try this at home:

FRIED DILL PICKLES

1 egg, beaten
1 c. milk
1 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
3 1/2 c. flour
1 qt. sliced dill pickles
Wesson oil for deep frying

Combine first 5 ingredients, stirring well. Set aside. Combine 3 1/2 cups flour, salt and pepper, stirring well. Dip pickles in milk mixture and dredge in flour mixture, repeat process. Deep fry in hot oil, 350 degrees until pickles float to surface and are golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

7 comments:

DebiH. said...

Yumm! I do have my own fried pickle recipe though. I might try yours for variety. I have only made sliced pickles but I have had fried pickle spears before that were also yummy. Did you make a dipping sauce? I have only made these once since Rachel was born but they were an intense pregnancy craving:) and drinving to the Catfish Place everytime I wanted a fried pickle was a little cost prohibitive ( is that how you spell that?). I never made burgers at home much until we had a grill.

Cheryl said...

never had fried pickles but I'm a southern girl and love just about anything fried! so these sound great.

as much as I talk about how I don't cook well... I have to say I can cook a mean hamburger and my family loves it when I do. We don't have a grill right now though!

Lisa said...

yummmm....They used to serve fried pickles at the Grand Floridian at Disney. I love trying weird fried things...like the fried candy bars we had at our womens' retreat that time. :)

Kris said...

I love fried pickles. They are heavenly.

atotallydifferentperson said...

I'm still wanting to try those fried candy bars. And then maybe I'll be brave enough for the pickles!

ann marie said...

I will definately try this. I like anything fried and I love pickles. I am dying to try them now.

Melissa said...

This cracks me up! I've never heard of fried pickles - must be a southern thing. I agree with Chewi - aything fried is good. I bet even fried cockroaches would be good.