Sunday, March 29, 2009

Norwegian Meatballs

Here's the recipe--
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 lb. ground pork
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk (I used buttermilk)
1 egg
2 tsp. sugar
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
1 tbsp. butter

Gravy--
3 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup water
1 cup heavy cream (I've used half and half)

Mix the meat, bread crumbs, milk, egg, and spices and mix well. Shape into 1 in. balls.
Heat a tbsp. butter in a skillet and cook the meatballs. Turning as necessary to completely cook them. When they are done, take them out and place them on a plate. Mix flour, sugar, and salt and pepper and add to the drippings in the pan. Use a whisk or fork to really mix it up. Add the water to make the gravy. Let it thicken up a little then slowly add the cream. Stir until thick. Do not boil. Add the meatballs to the gravy and keep the heat low. Let them cook about 15 more minutes to allow the flavors to blend. I'm not sure how authentic it is but these are great served over rice!

6 comments:

Smith Schoolhouse said...

we made these last year and they are yummy!

Julie said...

Yes, they are yummy!

Cheryl said...

nutmeg and allspice??

Debbie said...

thanks for having bren..she loved your cooking!! too funny!! ANY time you want to introduce my kids to a new veggie...please please please feel free!!:)

Sarah said...

Oh, thanks for posting! Can't wait to try it.

Gotcha about the ibuprofen - I figured you'd know that already - just spoutin'. :)

Tiffany said...

Cheryl--I was surprised by those spices too but they make these meatballs unique and delicious!