Catchy title, huh? The whole family is asleep and I'm not. Maybe because I slept 10 and a half hours last night and then took a two hour nap this afternoon. Amazingly I do feel tired and feel like I could sleep if I went to bed. Maybe I've had too much sleep? I think I feel tired because my eyes are burning. They are burning because I've been wearing my glasses all afternoon and they always burn when I wear my glasses. I obviously need a new prescription but I want to wait until I use up all the contacts I already have which is taking forever. I should probably open a new pair every two weeks like suggested instead of wearing them until they get a tear or become uncomfortable which could be as long as a month or more. Anyway, I'm wearing my glasses because my contacts were really bothering me today. I think I will open a new pair tomorrow, that will be one more pair down and that much closer to going to the eye dr. and getting a new prescription. We had a pretty good day, very relaxing. We went to a bakery for breakfast, a german bakery with live music. When we got there it wasn't terribly crowded and we got a table fairly close to the stage--front rowish. After devouring our pastries (ham and cheese croissant, marble cheesecake, a Josephine which is a strawberry napolean, and a chocolate ganache cake) and a couple of slices of raisin walnut bread, it was only 9:30 and the music wasn't due to start for half an hour. So, Ollie took the kids on a walk. From that point on the place starting filling up with people and many inquiring about the extra 4 chairs I had around my table. The concert started and still no Ollie, he didn't return until about 10:40--a good 40 minutes after the music began. I have never felt so self conscious--here I am, right up close to the stage, sitting alone with 4 empty, coveted chairs, and a multitude of people behind me. Not to mention I was the youngest person there by a good 20 years. Finally Ollie and the kids returned--and I could actually enjoy myself. As we headed out I got a bratwurst with sauerkraut to eat on the way home. It was good but not as good as Epcot's. We stopped at a playground on the way home and the kids played for a bit before we came home. Then I crashed on the couch for two hours and who knows what everyone else did. The kids were very involved with some game outside and played together nicely all day. I love days like that! Dinner was easy--we cleaned out a cabinet--bread, chips, hummus, crackers, dried fruit, rice cakes and peanut butter. I made two tapioca desserts and so we feasted all evening then played a bit of Nancy Drew and now everyone is asleep. Oh yeah and I took Joe to the real barber. It's the first time he's been since his first haircut when he was one. Ollie has been his barber and has done a good job but I wanted Joe to have more of a real haircut, not just a buzz. The barber was about 6 foot or taller, a young man--probably in his 20s, fat, pierced, and his pants were falling down. I'm not sure what I expected when I walked into the barber shop but it wasn't him. He proceeded to do a great job. I'll post a picture when I take one. Joe likes his hair cut but wishes he hadn't taken so much off above his ears. I am reading the famed "Twilight," I must say that I am enjoying it. I see why people like it. It's a mindless read so far and that's just what I was ready for. I'm starting to feel myself getting into a cooking mood. This is good for my family. We've spent the last few weeks eating a hodgepodge of odd meals as we've tried to declutter our cabinets, fridge, and freezer. They are about decluttered so I'm ready to clutter them again. One thing I still haven't found a use for is apricot filling. I bought it YEARS ago and should probably just throw it away. I don't know what to do with it. It's not pie filling, more like some sort of pastry type filling. I also have poppy seed. Any ideas??? I also have about 6 cans of pumpkin. I don't know why I have 6 cans, a little excessive I'd say. I'll have to make a very big batch of pumpkin muffins this week, twice. Or maybe three times. I'm off to go read my book. Goodnight ya'll!
5 comments:
THROW IT AWAY. If it is that old, don't take the risk!
Glad you made it to the "bakery". Why un-named? Yalaha is the BEST! Sorry you missed it last week with us, but we are planning a weekly or twice monthly thing there for homeschooling Mom's or whomever, let me know if you want to get on the list!
we went to that bakery after church today, we love it there, it's very relaxing and i think it's funny about the chairs...
i do the same thing with my contacts
i also have several cans of pumpkin, i was planning on making tons of pies and never got around to it
i'm with steph, throw the apricot away
So many things I can relate to in your post - love your bakery morning...how fun is that? What a great idea and a fun, relaxing time! I took a nap today which was heavenly and perfect on a rainy afternoon.
I laugh about your contacts because I do the exact same thing...I wear my glasses more frequently as I am often too lazy to put in my contacts! But, my eyes seem to burn at random - someone told me it is because they are dry, which comes as your "hormones" change. :)
Pumpkin bread, my friend. That is the answer to your cans and cans. Yummy, pumpkin gingerbread. I can send you the recipe if you want.
i admire your drive to be thrifty- contacts, food in the pantry, etc. there is a recipe in the homeschool cookbook for apricot glazed ham steaks and it is good. I use apricot jam but I bet the pastry filling would work. any other odd ingredients you can plug in on All Recipes and they will give you ideas on how to use it.
girl, you are outta control!
Post a Comment