Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bring on the Janette Oke

I'm exhausted.  I've read the first three Twilight books in the last week and truly I need a break.  They are so good, but so oh-my-goodness-I-can't-put-this-down-no-matter-what-else-I-should-be-doing-including-acknowledging-that-I-have-a-family-just-one-more-page-or-chapter-or-100-pages-I-think-I-can-finish-if-I-just-don't-sleep...I had the fourth book but I went ahead and loaned it to Amy, I am forcing myself to take a break from the vampire world and focus on the real world around me.  There is a lot to do around here before we have family arriving on Saturday.  We have yet to get any good schooling done this week except our lessons in spider capture today.  So, tomorrow we will be hitting the books big time.  I have a new lapbook for Hannah to start on Africa and Joe and Grace start their unit on Night Creatures.  

I spent too much time today trying to help Joe understand what a fake birthday is.  You see, when my children have their birthday party on any day other than their real birthday they call this day their "fake birthday."  Well, Joe just wasn't getting it and when Joe isn't getting it nobody gets a break from the questions until he has a full understanding of whatever the topic is.  After explaining and explaining, he finally got it.  I think the misunderstanding stemmed from him thinking he might be having a fake birthday coming up and might get some more presents.  He was disappointed.  Right on the heels of the fake birthday discussion--Hannah had to start on her little issue.  She just cannot get the whole "Pizza Hut/Wing Street" thing.  Are they two restaurants or one?  Why is it called two things?  Why did they make the sign that way?  And on and on and on.  We've had this discussion multiple times and it never ceases to annoy me that she has such an issue with it.  Today it was brought up because we were driving behind a delivery car.  And, once we settled that, I nearly ran over a woman who was jaywalking and happened to mention that she was jaywalking.  Yes, you guessed it--another LONG discussion about what jaywalking is.  I wish I had more patience for these conversations where I am educating my children on the things they are most interested in.  But, I don't.  

Woohoo for Adam Lambert tonight.  He is my American Idol!  Love him!  I'm thinking Megan or Anoop are going home.  Megan has been my fave but not so much anymore.  

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't see anything in your post about Janette Oke? If you want to borrow some, Sloan has a slew.

I get frustrated at my kids' lack of common sense and then the kids just go "nevermind Mom" when they see me getting frustrated and then I feel sooo guilty, I say no-no, I'm sorry and patiently explain to them. Poor things.

Cheryl said...

Who's Palio? Only asking because they "sound" very similar to someone else I know? No?... okay sorry.

Maybe it's the thought that crossed while reading your post... Twilight... study on night creatures... Palio...

Tiffany said...

Hi Palio--welcome to HillsideHollow. Should we fill Cheryl in or wait until she gets the magazine (you do send her one,right?).
I don't actually want to read Janette Oke--just saying bring on something sweet and simple...

Kirsten said...

I always have to remind myself to be more patient when explaining things like that to the kids.
You like Adam Lambert?! He is my least favorite. Actually I hope he gets voted off. Sorry. He looks so dark. Kinda like a vampire.
LOL.

crispy said...

Those kinds of kid discussions we call "cheeto conversations". Once in line at the pharmacy (back when we were in CA - so they were little) we had a whole 20 min. talk about the different kinds of cheetos. They wanted to know why there are hot cheetos, curly cheetos, puffy cheetos, different size bags...the questions went on and on. I finally said, "I can't talk about the cheetos anymore". And from then on...those are called a cheeto conversation.

Leisa said...

That's probably why Tiff likes him. Maybe he is a vampire?? Maybe he will come through your window and make goo-goo eyes at you??

Hi Palio, got any jackalopes for sale? How does Palio know Sloanie?? hmmmmmm

Kirsten said...

Leisa, Your comment has me cracking up. Seriously I am crying right now. ha ha ha.

Julie said...

Are you still picturing Allison as the girl in Twilight? Is Adam Edward?

Steph C. said...

I was checking my Palio email and forgot to sign out...whoops.:)