I just finished up making lunch and dinner. I don't plan to go back into the kitchen today unless it's to get a glass of water or make myself some iced tea. I'm hoping beyond hope that Ollie will volunteer to do the dishes. He probably will, he usually does. I feel like I spend half my life in the kitchen. Even more so now that we are working to eat really healthy. I always have this sense of urgency about eating all the produce I buy quickly before it goes bad. I especially feel this way every other week after picking up organic produce from the co-op. It takes a lot of time to cook and process all that produce. The other day I spent a few hours in the kitchen juicing apples, carrots, celery, and beets. Cooking eggplant, brussel sprouts, squash and zucchini, making my own healthy version of eggplant parmesan, making ravioli for the kids and Kayla...It's just neverending and it's hot! I finally sit down to dinner and I'm so sweaty I hardly even want to eat. Today I got smart and planned ahead and used the "cooler" morning hours to make 4 quiches (should be lunch for today, and breakfast for a couple of days. I also made 2 baguettes worth of sub sandwiches. Those will be our two meals for the day. I'm excited about the quiches. I made one traditional ham and cheese, one green chile, ham, and cheese, one broccoli and cheese, and one with goat cheese and squash, zucc, and onions (leftover from last night). I'm still mostly avoiding dairy so I made that last one with mostly almond milk until I ran out and had to add some regular milk. Since you can't find pre-made pie crust without trans fat and I'm way too lazy to make my own pie crust--I made them all crustless. I was able to use up some produce too. Woohoo for me! I even have lunch for tomorrow planned (chicken taco salad--my new favorite meal). We will be switching to my summer schedule of our big meal of the day being lunch, this works great because Ollie is off for two weeks and then when he is working he's home by 2. Enough talk about food...
I have heard two stories in the past two weeks of a man killing himself and his family. It is so sad and devastating and you can only wonder what was so bad that would make someone do something so horrific. I wonder if has anything to do with our economy and men losing their job, failing to provide for their family, etc.
I have so much I want/need to do right now. I have to continually remind myself to prioritize and not get overwhelmed. I don't want to neglect my husband and family in favor of marking something off my to do list or my book list or whatever. That is very easy for me to do, I can be so driven!
Speaking of books--I am really excited about the adult summer reading program at our public library. Every time you check out books you get to enter your name into a drawing for an Ipod Nano. Considering I am in the library checking out books at least 2-3 times a week I think I can get my name in that box a whole lot! Also, you can earn extra entries by attending these events on Tuesdays at noon called, "Lunch With an Artist." You watch a biography about a famous artist and have dessert and tea. I think I may be able to make it to at least a few of those. Also, at a different library, you keep a reading log and take it in and get it stamped and earn entries into drawings that take place on July 23. There will be all sorts of prizes there including gift certificates and literary themed prizes. I would love an Ipod (to put books on of course) but not enough to buy one so maybe I can win one. I am going to try to limit my computer time in order to spend more time reading. I have quite a list of books that I want to read. I also may do a fun reading challenge being hosted on another blog. More about that if I decide to do it.
Well, my kids just got home from VBS (shout out to Julie for picking them up!!) and are clamoring for my attention so I best go and be a "focused mother." Just read a very convicting pamphlet about that from Renee Ellison.
Peace out peeps! (am I cool or what?)
6 comments:
Yup. You're cool to me-if that matters. I always enjoy reading your posts.
Yes, you are cool!!! I have been gone for a week, so I haven't been able to get my daily dose of "Hillside Hollow" and I just wanted to say "WOW"...you are MY HERO :)Sounds like you had a great week!!!!
I'd love a synopsis of the focused mother - maybe you can "focus" on it in your next post... :)
I TOTALLY hear you about the kitchen and cooking thing. If I don't have a plan, and map it all out, I am in trouble. Plus, I feel like I barely get the breakfast pans washed before I have to start the next meal.
sigh.
It'll fall into place, I'm sure!
try the "green bags" that help produce stay fresh "as seen on TV" at walmart...they really work!!!
miss you!
great pics!
your efforts with the good eating will not be in vain!
Which library? We are at ours 3-4 times a week. But I could go to another one.
I know what you mean about produce. We have finally gotten into a groove and are ready for our next pick up with almost empty crispers.
I tend to like to mark things off my list, too. It's hard to find balance and peace.
Thanks for another great blog.
Post a Comment